This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9508 / 50°57'2"N
Longitude: -2.518 / 2°31'4"W
OS Eastings: 363710
OS Northings: 116946
OS Grid: ST637169
Mapcode National: GBR MT.NKVD
Mapcode Global: FRA 56ML.DWB
Entry Name: The Priory House
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103967
Location: Sherborne, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Built-Up Area: Sherborne
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Sherborne with Castleton Abbey Church of St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
The Priory House
ST 6316 1/105 28.11.50.
Long 2 storey 3 window stone front. A house of late C16 or early C17 origin,
which has been much embellished in early to mid C19. Slate roof, 2 dormers.
Castellated parapet with angle finials. Painted lead rainwater heads with
fleur-de-lys and other ornaments. 4-light mullioned windows with label-
moulds to lst floor. 5-light below. All windows have diagonal wood glazing
bars. Doorway, under wide 4-centred arched opening, is certainly one of
the C19 features. Flanking the door itself are four diagonally-set pilas-
ters enriched with recessed panel design. These support a castellated
parapet. Doorway has 4-centred head, glazed upper panels and diagonal
mouldings to lower panels. Interior has C17 fireplace, overmantel and
All the listed buildings on the North Side of Greenhill from Newell Cottage
to Belmont: and on the South Side from Delta to premises occupied by Godden
and Curtis form a group.
Listing NGR: ST6371016946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings