This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0482 / 52°2'53"N
Longitude: -1.7838 / 1°47'1"W
OS Eastings: 414920
OS Northings: 238891
OS Grid: SP149388
Mapcode National: GBR 4NF.KT2
Mapcode Global: VHB13.1S96
Entry Name: The Guild House
Listing Date: 8 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152366
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126268
Location: Chipping Campden, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL55
Civil Parish: Chipping Campden
Built-Up Area: Chipping Campden
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Campden St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
In the entry for:-
SP 14 39 CHIPPING CAMPDEN SHEEP STREET
7/212 The Guild House
the description shall be amended to read:
Former miller's house. Probably early C18, but said to have
earlier origins. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar quoins
and dressings; hipped and half-hipped stone slate roof with
stack to rear right. 2 storeys with attic and basement;
2-window front. Flight of steps to off-centre right-hand
entrance, with part-glazed C19 door in wooden frame under
stone hood with carved brackets. 2/2-pane horned sashes
throughout in tooled surrounds with keystones. First-floor
band continues around house. Right return has plank door with
chamfered jambs and lintel, and 2-light chamfered
stone-mullioned window with metal multi-pane fixed light.
Hipped dormers. Phoenix fire insurance mark to front and
District fire insurance to rear.
Interior: boxed beams and ground-floor window shutters. Part
of C18 dentil cornice and panelled cupboards flanking
fireplace in right-hand front'room; open staircase to left,
and C18 roof structure with roughly chamfered purlins.
Historical note: this building was part of the premises
occupied by the Guild of Craftsmen - see The Old Silk Mill
5224 SHEEP STREET
The Guild House
SP 1439 7/212
Early C18 altered. Two storeys, basement and attic. Rubble with band over ground
floor and hipped Cotswold stone roof. Hipped casement dormer. Two windows with
beaded surrounds, keys and bull-nose cills, cross-glazed sashes. Restored stone
brackets to hood over half-glazed door. Steps up to doorway.
One window to south return. Basement to south has a chamfered doorway and a mullion
window. Fire Insurance Mark. Probably built circa 1710 with the Silk Mill (qv).
Taken over by the Guild of Craftsmen under C R Ashbee when they moved from East London
Listing NGR: SP1492038891
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings