This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6082 / 50°36'29"N
Longitude: -1.9601 / 1°57'36"W
OS Eastings: 402918
OS Northings: 78719
OS Grid: SZ029787
Mapcode National: GBR 459.WSK
Mapcode Global: FRA 67SG.G5T
Entry Name: Purbeck House (Convent of Our Lady of Mercy)
Listing Date: 21 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152595
English Heritage Legacy ID: 108207
Location: Swanage, Purbeck, Dorset, BH19
Civil Parish: Swanage
Built-Up Area: Swanage
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Swanage St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
No 91 (Purbeck House)
SZ 0278 NE 5/81 (Convent of Our Lady of Mercy)
Built 1875, replacing an 18th century house on the site. Architect: G Crickmay.
Built for George Burt, nephew and successor of John Mowlem, as his own house. An
imposing house in a "baronial" style, asymetrical in design, of stone, with tiled
roof. The main facade has 2 storeys, plus attics and basement, raised above pavement
level on a paved terrace with stone parapet walls. Crow-stepped gables at each end
of the facade, Projecting granite porch, large square bay window west of this, and
west again a projecting square tower, continuing above roof line as an octagon,
finished with battlements. The main elevations are faced with granite fragments left
over from the base of the Albert Memorial, London, which Burt was building at the time.
Various other fragments from London buildings incorporated in the house, and a number
of stone and terracotta plaques of classical design, from the Exhibition of 1851.
Part of the terrace paved with decorated encaustic tiles from the Houses of Parliament.
Windows mainly sashes in stone surrounds. Gabled dormers to attic. Single-storey former
billiard room - now Chapel - the east of the main house, with lead roof and walls partly
of stone, partly of terracotta tiles. Modern extension to Chapel in stone with a
Interior retains some original features. Mosaic pavement in entrance hall copied
by Burt from a Roman pavement discovered during excavations at the Mansion House,
London, in 1869 and now in the Museum of London. Two of the ground floor rooms retain
moulded and painted ceiling decoration and fireplaces of Carrara marble designed by
Crickmay. Purbeck Stone walls to garden at rear of house.
Listing NGR: SZ0291878719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings