This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8525 / 51°51'8"N
Longitude: -1.7186 / 1°43'7"W
OS Eastings: 419477
OS Northings: 217136
OS Grid: SP194171
Mapcode National: GBR 4QV.Y07
Mapcode Global: VHBZK.5P9R
Entry Name: Great Rissington Manor
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Last Amended: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130879
Location: Great Rissington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Great Rissington
Built-Up Area: Great Rissington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Great Rissington St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
GREAT RISSINGTON GREAT RISSINGTON VILLAGE
9/146 Great Rissington Manor
(formerly listed as The Manor House)
Former farmhouse, now a manor house. Marked as Manor Farm on the
1:2500 O.S. map. Mid C17-late C17 (probably in two phases),
extended and restored by the Marling family 1929. Limestone rubble
with dressed stone quoins. Stone slate roof with ashlar stacks.
'L'-shaped C17 main body. South wing added c1929. The north wing
(built c1929) to the right of the main body was originally a range
of farmbuildings including a barn (now converted) and forms a
linear range projecting forwards from the entrance front and
continuing back rear right. Mostly 2 storeys and attic. Facade;
gable at centre of the entrance front, later C17 range to the left.
Gable of early C20 south wing projects forwards to the left.
Converted barn projects forwards to the right. Original single-
light, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned casements, with stopped hoods
to the mid-late C17 ranges; king-mullions to the 4-light
casements. C20 stone-mullioned casements to the north and south
ranges. All windows with leaded panes, most with stopped hoods.
Early C20 plank door with studded fillets with a roll-moulded 4-
centred arched surround set off-centre right in the gable. Garden
front cross-gabled west wing of the C17 range projects forwards at
the centre. Small 2-storey turret with a pyramidal roof in the
angle between the main body and the north range. Three-bay open-
fronted store with rubble-built cylindrical columns to the right-
hand return northern range. Varying rooflines throughout. Axial
and gable-end stacks with moulded cappings and skirtings. One
triple diagonally set lateral stack to the south range. Saddleback
coping to the gables, kneelers and pierced pointed finials to the
main body and the south range. Lead guttering probably dating from
the early C20 restoration. Some rainwater heads decorated with
either a single leaping fish or a castellated tower. Rainwater
head with the initials 'M. H. M.' (Marling) on the garden front.
Interior restored in 1929. Ground floor; two original Tudor-
arched fireplaces with restored herringbone tiling at the back.
Matching early C20 stone fireplace. Several probably original
flat-chamfered basket-headed stone fireplace surrounds in bedrooms.
One small Tudor-arched fireplace with a roll moulded surround.
Small area of C17 wall painting (cl.5m x lm) in an upstairs
bedroom. The painting is intended to imitate wood panelling and
has a yellow background onto which is painted the outline of 4
panels with a lozenge at the centre of each, imitation wooden peg
fixings at the junction of the rails and stiles. Painted nulling
forms a frieze at the top of the painted panelling which was
probably once more extensive. Staircase early C20.
(V.C.H. Vol VI, p 99)
Listing NGR: SP1947717136
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings