This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9763 / 50°58'34"N
Longitude: -3.8404 / 3°50'25"W
OS Eastings: 270893
OS Northings: 121262
OS Grid: SS708212
Mapcode National: GBR L1.LT2P
Mapcode Global: FRA 26VJ.FPV
Entry Name: Broomham Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152877
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97292
Location: King's Nympton, North Devon, Devon, EX37
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: King's Nympton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kingsnympton St James the Apostle
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 72 SW
2/115 Broomham Farmhouse
Farmhouse unoccupied at time of survey. Probably early C16, remodelled 1638 by
datestone, with some C19 alterations but subsequently very little changed.
Unrendered stone rubble, right end partly rendered stone rubble and cob. Thatch
roof, half-hipped, with chamfered timber wall plate. Corrugated asbestos roof to
rear kitchen wing. Tall front lateral stone rubble hall stack with tapered cap,
stone rubble ridge stacks towards left end and to rear kitchen wing.
Plan: house unoccupied since c.1978 and interior of main range not accessible.
Substantial modified long-house plan, with hall, inner room and additional unheated
room probably originally a dairy beyond to left of through-passage, and integral
lofted outbuilding to right. Kitchen wing to rear of hall and through-passage
creating overall T-shaped plan with single-storey outshot to left. The house was
originally open to the roof, including the lofted outbuilding which has been extended
probably in the late C17 at the right end. The house was ceiled probably in 1638,
when the kitchen wing appears to have been added, and the hall stairs which are
housed in a shallow projection between the hall stack and through-passage doorway.
Additional spiral staircase to rear kitchen wing.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 4-window range C19 fenestration entirely intact, all 3-light
casements 8 panes per light. Small 2-light mullion staircase window, C17 4-light
chamfered mullion window to left end, and 2-light mullion to right side upper storey
of rear wing. Outbuilding at right end has large C19 2-light shuttered opening above
C19 4-light timber window. Old studded plank door at right end. Datestone above
hall window inscribed "Anno Domini 1638 B.T. T.T.'
Interior: not accessible but known to be little altered and probably early fabric
concealed. There is said to be a domed ash house in the projection behind the rear
kitchen wing stack. The C17 panelling has been removed. The lofted outbuilding
has a single raised cruck truss with cranked morticed and tenoned collar and 2 tiers
of threaded purlins and ridge purlin. All the roof members including battens,
rafters and underside of thatch are heavily smoke-blackened (except to the right end
extension) and the entire roof structure is said to be of similar construction.
Broomham is a remarkably unspoilt farmhouse of a longhouse type; it clearly retains
features of considerable interest and deserves a full interior inspection.
Listing NGR: SS7089321262
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings