This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8692 / 52°52'9"N
Longitude: 1.167 / 1°10'1"E
OS Eastings: 613254
OS Northings: 334893
OS Grid: TG132348
Mapcode National: GBR VCC.1VY
Mapcode Global: WHLR8.W4WQ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152882
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224098
Location: Plumstead, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Plumstead
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Plumstead St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/09/2012
TG 13 SW
Church of St Michael
Parish church. C12; chancel of c.1300; C14 south aisle, demolished before
C19; C15 clerestory and west tower; restored 1873. C12 herringbone masonry
of iron conglomerate to north wall with original quoining at junction with
chancel and tower; rest of knapped and unknapped flint with clunch ashlar
dressings, partly rendered; gabled C19 plain tile roof with bands of fishscale
tiles. Plan of nave and chancel with west tower. Chancel has C19 (probably
1873) 3-light perpendicular-style east window and, to south side, a 2-light
window with trefoil heads and a similar one-light window of c.1300 flanked
by offset buttresses; c.1873 organ chamber and C19 buttresses to north side.
Nave has two 2-light geometrical-style windows and hood mould over chamfered
pointed-arched doorway to south and gabled north porch with cinquefoiled
lights and pointed arched doorway, all of c.1873. West tower of 3 stages
with angle buttresses having blank tracery to stone plinths; hood mould over
c.1873 west window; stair projection to north; 2-light cinquefoiled belfry
windows with perpendicular tracery; gargoyles to corners of flushwork parapet
with crocketed pinnacles. Interior: chancel has trefoil-headed piscina and
drop sedilia of c.1300 and remains of Easter Sepulchre with modern colouring
to fragmentary vaulting. C14 two-bay south arcade of 3 orders with hollow
chamfers set on octagonal piers with moulded capitals; C15 tower arch with
wave-moulded outer arch set on polygonal responds with embattled capitals.
Mid C19 and C15 corbels to mid C19 hammerbeam roof to chancel and waggon
roof with scissor braces and arch-braced principles to nave, all with C15
elements. Fittings: altar, reredos, litany desk and sanctuary provided as
memorial to Captain Whiteside, d.1916; pews, pulpit, lectern and west screen
of c.1873; C15 octagonal stone font. Memorial to Theophila Fleming, d.1743.
Royal Arms of George VI to north wall. Stained glass: C15 figures in east
window and C16-17 Flemish glass in south windows taken from Catton Hall,
Norwich, in 1952.
Listing NGR: TG1325434893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings