This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6201 / 52°37'12"N
Longitude: 1.5033 / 1°30'11"E
OS Eastings: 637228
OS Northings: 308247
OS Grid: TG372082
Mapcode National: GBR XKC.NW3
Mapcode Global: WHMTR.2D3P
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1152884
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228479
Location: Lingwood and Burlingham, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13
Civil Parish: Lingwood and Burlingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Burlingham St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 30 NE BURLINGHAM SOUTH BURLINGHAM
8/31 Church of St. Edmund.
Parish church. Some C12 work, but fabric mainly C14 and C15, restored in
1872. Flint with limestone dressings and brick gable to porch; thatched roof
continuous over nave and chancel. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch.
Square C15 west tower with diagonal staged buttresses; upper stage of tower
reconstructed with crude 3-light bell openings and stepped parapet dressed
in gault brick. Three light Perpendicular west window; small cusped openings
on south and west. Polygonal stair turret at north west corner. South porch
with red brick gable, parapeted with tumbling in. Semi-circular headed
opening. Norman north and south doorways; the south has one order of shafts
with capitals carved with volutes and chevron-moulded arch. Corbel-head over
arch. Pointed inner arch with continuous hollow chamfer. Bench on east side
of porch supported on re-set carved stone corbels. South nave and chancel
windows of c.1300 : 2-light with 'Y' tracery. 4-light east window with inter-
secting tracery. Small 2-light Decorated window in north chancel wall, its
head partly blocked. 3-light Perpendicular window in north wall of nave.
Adjoining small lancet, now blocked. North doorway now blocked in brick :
one order of shafts with scallop-moulded capitals (shafts missing) supporting
an arch possibly intended to have beak-head ornament, but left uncarved.
Single-framed scissor braced nave roof with ashlar pieces to walls. C15 nave
roof with roll-moulded arch-braced principals and embattled cornice. Square
headed screen with remains of painted panels in base; upper section has ogee
arches with panel tracery above. Fine C15 pulpit with 8 panels of original
colour and the inscription "Inter natos mulierum non serrexit major Johanne
Baptista." The panels are finely traceried and divided by tall buttresses.
Early C17 backboard and octagonal tester. On the north nave wall a faint
C14 painting of St. Christopher. Octagonal C13 font with open trussed ogee
cover. Good set of nave benches with poppyhead ends and carvings of animals
and figures on arm rests. Most benches have pierced or traceried backs.
C17 communion rail with turned posts and balusters. Fresco on chancel south
wall depicting the martyrdom of Becket. Choir stalls with head carvings
on poppyhead ends.
Listing NGR: TG3722808247
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings