This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8621 / 52°51'43"N
Longitude: 0.5443 / 0°32'39"E
OS Eastings: 571377
OS Northings: 332428
OS Grid: TF713324
Mapcode National: GBR P3X.DG4
Mapcode Global: WHKPV.BBF7
Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221408
Location: Shernborne, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Civil Parish: Shernborne
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Shernbourne St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 73 SW SHERNBORNE
5/23 Church of SS Peter and
Parish Church. Norman and Early English, C11 and C13 evidence, largely rebuilt
1898 by H.J. Green, the Diocesan architect for Norwich, with Sir Reginald
Blomfield, an architect much employed on the Sandringham Estate, as consultant. -
Flint and carstone rubble, free-stone dressings, plain-tiled nave and chancel
roofs, lead south aisle roofs. Nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel.
External details all of 1898, still High Victorian in feeling in west window
tracery and bell cote. Interior has 2 bay south arcade with C13 Early English
or later central octagonal pier and 2 half-octagonal respond piers, with
moulded bases, renewed higher up. Closely set scissor braced roof to nave,
boarded to chancel. Tesselated floors. Font, stone, Norman, has base plinth,
shaft with 4 piers with bases and capitals, square bowl with slightly bowed
sides, angle piers with bases and capitals. Lion-mask to each of 4 sides,
interlace and inhabited scrolls. Brass: Sir Thomas Shernborne and wife; a
knight in armour and his lady, mounted on north wall. Pulpit 1898, pews 1919,
east window stained 1924.
Listing NGR: TF7137732428
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.