This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6353 / 51°38'7"N
Longitude: -2.1597 / 2°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 389043
OS Northings: 192959
OS Grid: ST890929
Mapcode National: GBR 1P0.DSB
Mapcode Global: VH95K.J535
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153076
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128434
Location: Tetbury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Tetbury
Built-Up Area: Tetbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tetbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 8892-8992 TETBURY CHURCH STREET
8/158 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Anglican parish church. 1781 by Francis Hiorn of Warwick, tower
rebuilt 1890/1 by Waller, on site of medieval church. Ashlar,
hipped slate and Cotswold stone slate roof with embattled parapet.
Elegant Gothic Revival. Large 7-bay rectangular hall church with
single storey additional "aisles" on either side, giving access to
the box pews at the outer edges of the nave, and with single
central projecting chancel bay at east end and tower bay at west
end. West tower is the rebuilt medieval tower of 5 stages with
pinnacles and recessed spire. Rounded stair well with slit
openings projecting in north east corner and stepped diagonal
buttresses to remaining corners. 2-light belfry louvres on each
face, with gargoyles to west and south, clock face to north only,
elaborate ogee louvres to lowest stage of spire to north, west and
south. West wall has tall 4-light window and large arched doorway.
North and south "aisles" with 3 single trefoil lights to each bay
and embattled parapet. Nave has very tall windows of 4 lights with
Perpendicular-type tracery and shields in spandrels. Chancel bay
has 3 tall blind lancets to north and south and 5-light east
window, with clasped buttresses.
Interior: sexpartite rib vault supported by very slender clustered
colonettes in wood around central wooden core, with smaller version
supporting U-shape gallery at west end with narrow trefoil head
panelled front. Nave retains original box pews with carved
panelled doors, with access to side pews through pointed arch
panelled doors from side aisle passages. Original reredos flanks
an altarpiece by Benjamin West. 2 contemporary brass chandeliers
hang in nave. Stained glass by Wailes, except one by Clayton and
Bell. Some original fittings were removed in 1900. Very fine
collection of wall monuments in white and grey marble, grouped
mainly in north east corner and in gallery. Tower contains
monuments to Paul family; in west passage by north west door,
monument to Saunders family of Upton Grove (q.v.). Some remnants
of medieval effigies from original church in north aisle passage.
(David Verey, Buildings of England; Gloucestershire - The
Listing NGR: ST8905292957
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings