This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7027 / 51°42'9"N
Longitude: -1.9009 / 1°54'3"W
OS Eastings: 406941
OS Northings: 200448
OS Grid: SP069004
Mapcode National: GBR 3R7.66M
Mapcode Global: VHB2S.0GDJ
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 26 November 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153265
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129327
Location: Driffield, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Driffield
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Driffield (including Harnhill)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 00 SE
4/32 Church of St. Michael
Small Anglican church. Norman foundation, chancel rebuilt in C13
or early C14, alterations to tower in C18, restored 1909. Random
coursed rubble stone with quoins, stone slate roof with coped
verges and cross finial at east end. Small west tower rising
through nave roof, nave and south porch, chancel. Tower has hipped
roof with dragon weathervane, stone slate hung sides except to west
which has single small lancet, and may have been a bellcote. South
porch gabled with small diagonal buttresses flanking pointed
archway with sundial over, ogee niche to right inside porch,
sculptured Norman tympanum over south door depicting St. Michael
slaying the dragon. Two-light Perpendicular straight headed window
to nave, 2 similar to chancel with blocked doorway between.
Chancel has 3-light east window with 2 elongated quatrefoils
between Decorated tracery heads, diagonal buttresses at east end,
and single lancet to north side. Two twin trefoil head lancets to
north side of nave.
Interior: 3-bay nave with 2 tie beams, and collar beam to each pair
of rafters. Chancel roof of 3 bays, 2 plain collar and tie beam
trusses. Plain 2-step pointed chancel arch. Some medieval glass
fragments in east window. (David Verey, Buildings of England -
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: SP0694100448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings