This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8603 / 52°51'36"N
Longitude: 0.7214 / 0°43'16"E
OS Eastings: 583304
OS Northings: 332665
OS Grid: TF833326
Mapcode National: GBR Q5G.P60
Mapcode Global: WHKPY.1CSL
Plus Code: 9F42VP6C+4G
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 June 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153280
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221646
Location: Syderstone, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE31
Civil Parish: Syderstone
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Syderstone with Barmer St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TF 83 SW SYDERSTONE THE STREET (north)
4/62 Church of St. Mary.
Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15, truncated 1784. Flint with stone dressings,
slated nave, black glazed pantile chancel, lead spirelet to tower. Nave only
surviving of C12 cruciform church, with C12 south aisle addition, now removed.
West round tower with C13 details,C14 chancel with C15 details, C14 north
aisle removed. West round tower, presumably added after collapse of Norman
crossing tower, has single colonnettes with stiff leaf capitals, 2 double
arch, outer drip mould. Wooden switch tracery against tympanum of c.1784.
Niche above, perhaps C14. Belfry windows on north, south and west sides have
crudely chamfered round arch with 'Y' tracery, east has more advanced round
arch with central colonnette with bases and capital. Lead spirelet roof. Nave
south side has 4 'Y' tracery C13 2-light windows reset into blocked south
arcade. Nave north has 4 blocked arches visible. Blocked pointed arch north
door, 2 blocked straight head drip mould 2-light Perpendicular windows reset
in blocked arcades. Nave east gable remains of floriated cross. Chancel has
2 south and one north 3-light Perpendicular tracery windows. C14 east gable
has stone plinth and set-off angle buttresses. Fine flowing tracery 4-light
window with trefoil mouchettes with cusping and sub-cusping. Interior: C13
double hollow tower arch on respond heads. Blocked C12 south 3 bay arcade
has 2 squat round piers with deep simple chamfered capitals with square abaci,
chamfered arches. Built up north 3 bay arcade with octagonal piers and double
hollow chamfered arches. 4th bay is site of former Norman transepts and
crossing. At north only east pier and round arch surviving, at south 2
rectangular simple piers and arch C14 or C15 chancel arch has semi-octagonal
piers with bases and capitals, moulded stilted arch. Chancel north has wall
tomb 1601 with 3 panel Perpendicular traceried altar tomb base either Gothic
Survival or re-used, with classical architrave frame and pediment. Arched
braced panelled mid C19 roofs.
Listing NGR: TF8330432665
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings