This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.13 / 55°7'48"N
Longitude: -1.593 / 1°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 426050
OS Northings: 581813
OS Grid: NZ260818
Mapcode National: GBR K993.XV
Mapcode Global: WHC2Z.HBN3
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 18 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153497
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235924
Location: West Bedlington, Northumberland, NE22
Civil Parish: West Bedlington
Built-Up Area: Bedlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bedlington St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BEDLINGTON CHURCH LANE
NZ 2681 NW (East side)
9/53 Church of
18/10/49 St. Cuthbert
Parish Church. Nave mid-C12 with C14 south chapel. Chancel rebuilt 1743 and
again in mid-C19, west tower 1868, north aisle, vestries and nave windows
1911-12. Nave and chapel squared stone, C19 parts squared tooled stone,
1911-12 work snecked stone; cut dressings. C19 work in Romanesque style,
1911-12 in free C14 style.
South side of nave shows plinth, eaves cornice and 1912 3-light window on
each side of chapel; C18 round-arched light to far right, with traces of 4
similar but larger openings above 1912 windows and chapel roof. Chapel has
moulded plinth and vertical-panelled door in double-chamfered arch with
hoodmould, early C20 3-light window on right and low-pitched coped gable with
finial cross. Circular clerestorey with cusped mouchettes, on north of nave.
West tower of 2 tall stages with south-west stair turret; round-arched west
window, 2-light bell openings and battlemented parapet. North aisle has
stepped buttress bay divisions, hollow-chamfered north door, 2-light windows
on north and east, 4-light west window. Re-set slab by west window, 'WATSON'S
WAKE 1669' commemorates fatal fall from tower of local somnambulist. 3-bay
chancel has plinth and stepped buttresses; priest's door and 2 arched windows
on south and eastern triplet, with carved capitals to jamb shafts and billet
hoodmoulds. Mural monument on east of vestry to Stephen, son of Henry Earl
of Derby, 1795.
Interior: Chancel arch on semicircular shafts with carved impost band; arch
taken down and re-set in 4-centred form, perhaps in C15, has inner order with
roll flanked by hollows and outer order of carved voussoirs. Trefoil-headed
squint on north of arch and moulded ogee niche on south. 5-bay chamfered
arcade on octagonal piers. Pointed tower arch. South chapel has barrel vault
and recess on west with chamfered segmental arch; doorway into nave has
chamfered round arch and taller roll-moulded rear arch. Nave has boarded
ceiling on tie-beam trusses with pierced panelling,alternately springing from
wall-posts with pierced arch braces. Scissor-brace roof to aisle. Chancel
roof has round-arched stone trusses with chevron ornament.
Carved C19 font. 7 medieval cross slabs. Romanesque carving of 2 figures,
at time of survey removed from south wall for conservation. Group of late
Georgian marble tablets in chancel. Burdon memorial window at west end of
aisle with Christ in Majesty, saints, patriarchs and masonic symbols; good
War Memorial window in south chapel; St. Cuthbert window in nave. Parish
chest in aisle.
Listing NGR: NZ2605081813
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings