This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.3218 / 55°19'18"N
Longitude: -1.6822 / 1°40'56"W
OS Eastings: 420262
OS Northings: 603127
OS Grid: NU202031
Mapcode National: GBR J6PX.L3
Mapcode Global: WHC1Z.4H6L
Plus Code: 9C7W88C9+P4
Entry Name: Brainshaugh
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153504
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236685
Location: Acklington, Northumberland, NE65
Civil Parish: Acklington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Acklington St John the Divine
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 20 SW
House. Late C16 or early C17; south front remodelled in second quarter of
C18; enlarged and given new west front 1805 for Thomas Cook. Squared stone,
of near-ashlar quality in 1805 parts, except for rubble of east elevation
and roughly-squared stone of east part of north elevation; cut dressings.
Lakeland slate roof to main block; kitchen wing with pantiles except for
asbestos sheets on east end; stacks rebuilt in brick on old bases. Main
block formerly L-plan, enlarged to a square in 1805; kitchen wing to south-
South front; main block 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Central old half-
glazed door in bolection-moulded suround; 12-pane sash windows, some renewed,
in architraves; hipped roof. To right is the plain rear elevation of the
single-storey kitchen wing. 3-bay west front shows central trompe l'oeil
doorway of 6 fielded panels under 12-pane sash with slightly-projecting sill,
between downpipes with fluted rainwater heads inscribed T 1805 C; flanking
canted full-height bay windows with sill bands, 12-pane sashes and pyramidal
roofs: main hipped roof has central ridge stack. East elevation shows several
C16/17 windows of one or two lights, some enlarged to hold 4-pane sashes.
Similar windows in left part of north elevation; right part, set slightly
forward, is 1805 extension with Gothic-arched stair window: 12-pane sash,
with intersecting head, in raised surround with imposts and keystone. Set
back to left is kitchen wing with blocked chamfered doorway and 8-pane sash
window; slightly taller right part has stepped-and-banded old brick ridge
stack, and left end gable with raised reverse-stepped coping.
Interior largely of 1805. Dog-leg stair with stick balusters, moulded newels,
shaped tread ends and curtail step; modillion cornices to stair and entrance
hall. Drawing room has contemporary dado rail, cornice and fireplace. Doors
of 6 fielded panels; panelled shutters.
Listing NGR: NU2026203127
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings