This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5659 / 55°33'57"N
Longitude: -2.1388 / 2°8'19"W
OS Eastings: 391346
OS Northings: 630251
OS Grid: NT913302
Mapcode National: GBR F4H2.RM
Mapcode Global: WH9ZG.3CTH
Plus Code: 9C7VHV86+8F
Entry Name: Church of St Gregory the Great
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Last Amended: 14 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237663
Location: Kirknewton, Northumberland, NE71
Civil Parish: Kirknewton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Kirknewton St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 93 SW KIRKNEWTON KIRKNEWTON
3/87 (inset) Church of St. Gregory
21/9/51 the Great (formerly
listed as St Gregory's
Parish church. C13 and C19. Nave 1860 by John Dobson. Tower later C19.
Roughly-dressed stone with ashlar quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof.
North-west tower, south porch, nave and north aisle, south transept and chancel.
Tower Perpendicular with 3-light west window and 2-light bell openings. Stepped,
castellated parapet with obelisks at corners.
4-bay nave with lancet windows. South porch, with shouldered lintel in 1st bay.
Transept, in 4th bay is lower with much older masonry. Victorian 3-light
Very low 2-bay chancel has priest's door with flat lintel and chamfered surround.
Square south window to right, also with chamfered surround. 3-light east window
with C19 stepped lancets.
Interior: nave and north aisle entirely Dobson. 4-bay arcade with octagonal
piers and broad chamfered arches.
Chancel arch, probably C13. Very narrow, low, depressed pointed arch rising
from plain chamfered imposts.
The chancel is vaulted with very low pointed tunnel vault rising from side walls
only 3 ft. high. Priest's door and south window deeply set into the vault.
South transept has similar vault only rising straight from floor.
To left of chancel arch: C12 carving of Adoration of Magi.
In transept: monument to Andrew Burrell and wife 1458. Slab with incised
figures, the faces and hands indented for brass. Inscription round edges.
2 fonts: one at entrance to transept. C18 marble with baluster stem; the
other at west end of nave dated 1663, with ornamental panelled octagonal shaft
Monument to Rev. John Werge 1732, in chancel: aedicule with rusticated pilasters,
profile heads in place of capitals and well carved memento mori in pediment.
Listing NGR: NT9134630251
Other nearby listed buildings