This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8626 / 51°51'45"N
Longitude: -1.8858 / 1°53'8"W
OS Eastings: 407962
OS Northings: 218229
OS Grid: SP079182
Mapcode National: GBR 3P9.424
Mapcode Global: VHB20.8FFZ
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130042
Location: Hazleton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Hazleton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Haselton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
HAZLETON HAZLETON VILLAGE
SP 01 NE
5/44 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. C12, Early English and Perpendicular.
Restoration and addition of north aisle by J. Medland, 1866.
Coursed squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof to nave and
chancel, concrete tile roof on north aisle. Nave with north aisle
and south porch, chancel and west tower. Buttressed chancel.
South wall; two C19 two-light stone-mullioned casements with
trefoil-headed lights. Simple memorial to Bartholomew Dobson,
rector, died 1660, below right-hand window. C19 round-headed east
window. Flat-chamfered string stepped up over window. C12 corbel
head inserted in north wall. North aisle in form of lean-to with
two pointed windows with gables in north wall. Two stage
Perpendicular tower with diagonal buttresses and moulded plinth.
Blocked west door with blocked pointed arch with casement and roll
mouldings and carved spandrels. Two-light pointed window above.
String courses between stages. Two-light belfry windows with stone
louvres in each side of tower. Battlemented parapet. Nave south
wall; single Early English trefoil-headed lancet with carved
spandrels left of porch. Two-light Perpendicular window (restored)
with cinquefoil-headed lights and hood with square-ended stops.
Buttress with offsets right. C20 studded plank door with
decorative hinges within late C12 arch within porch with plain
tympanum and chevroned arch. Jamb shafts with scalloped capitals
and chamfered moulded abaci. C14 porch; pointed-arched entrance
with hollow mouldings above impost level and stopped hood.
Stone bench seats, late Perpendicular niche within east wall, the
sill comprising part of an early sepulchral slab with an
elaborately incised cross.
Interior; C12 chancel arch with chevron mouldings on its outer
soffit and engaged jamb shafts with scalloped capitals. C12 shafts
with scalloped capitals at corners at east end of chancel (possibly
formerly supporting vault). Tall Perpendicular pointed arch to
tower with semi-octagonal engaged columns to tower. Access to
tower stairs via plank door within Tudor-arched surround right.
Two-bay nave arcade with central round pier and flat-chamfered
pointed arches. C19 seven-facetted roof trusses to nave C19 square
panelled chancel roof. Nave floor red and black tiles. Encaustic
decorative tiles in chancel and sanctuary. Furniture and fittings;
fine octagonal C13 font with paired trefoil-headed panels on each
face. C19 pews. Circular C19 pulpit with painted biblical
inscription. Monuments; C19 grey and white marble monument on nave
north wall. C19-early C20 stained glass in east window of chancel.
C20 stained glass in easternmost window of north aisle.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: SP0796218229
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings