This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.631 / 55°37'51"N
Longitude: -2.097 / 2°5'49"W
OS Eastings: 393990
OS Northings: 637492
OS Grid: NT939374
Mapcode National: GBR F3SB.S8
Mapcode Global: WH9Z2.RQML
Entry Name: West Lodge and Gateway to Ford Castle
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1153904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238034
Location: Ford, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Ford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ford And Etal
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
FORD B 6353
NT 93 NW
10/66 West Lodge and
Lodge and gateway. 1866 probably by David Bryce for the Marchioness of
Waterford. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Gothic style.
Lodge single storey. 3 short radiating wings with porch in angle between
two of them. Porch has pointed-arched door and sidelights under hoodmould.
Date and Lady Waterford's monogram in the gable. Towards road 3 bays; left
bay projecting at an angle with a 6-light canted bay window on the gable end;
to right two 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. Gabled roof with
ridged and roll-moulded coping, kneelers and ridge stack of 4 clustered
shafts. Bands of purple and blue slate.
To left screen wall and gatepiers. Castellated octagonal gatepiers flanked
by arcades of 20 pointed arches. The rearing horses on the piers added by
Lord Joicey after 1907.
Listing NGR: NT9399037492
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings