History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Howick Hall Centre Block and Link Galleries

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longhoughton, Northumberland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.4507 / 55°27'2"N

Longitude: -1.6094 / 1°36'33"W

OS Eastings: 424802

OS Northings: 617499

OS Grid: NU248174

Mapcode National: GBR K56D.CW

Mapcode Global: WHC1F.78V7

Entry Name: Howick Hall Centre Block and Link Galleries

Listing Date: 1 September 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1153968

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237007

Location: Longhoughton, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Longhoughton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Howick St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


16/116 Howick Hall
centre block and
link galleries

Country House. 1782 by William Newton for Sir Henry Grey. Linking galleries
altered and entrance hall added 1809 by George Wyatt; alterations and internal
remodelling, after serious fire, 1928 by Sir Herbert Baker and Scott. Tooled
ashlar with graduated Lakeland slate roof. Plan: Rectangular block with
internal 1st-floor courtyard; 1-storey entrance hall on north continued as
linking galleries to east and west wings (the former stable and kitchen
blocks), q.v.

North (entrance) front: 3-storey 9-bay main-block with 1-storey 5-bay
projecting porch and 6-bay linking galleries slightly set back from porch at
both sides. Porch has plinth, Tuscan pilasters, cornice and balustraded
parapet. Central door, with bronze lion-mask knocker, under overlight with
lantern and date 1929; cornice over. Flanking round-arched windows; outer
windows under cornices. Side galleries have subsidiary doors, and windows
in architraves; all replaced 15-pane sashes. 3 rainwater heads dated 1809
with Grey crest. Main block in three 3-bay sections. Pedimented centre holds
giant Tuscan aedicule, with recessed windows giving on to inner court, flanked
by round-headed windows on first floor and oculi above; all small-paned
casements. Grey crest and motto in pediment. Outer sections have 12-pane
sashes on first floor, 6-pane above; entablature and blocking course, hipped
roofs behind with ridge stacks.

South front 3 storeys, 9 bays. Rusticated ground floor; moulded plinth and -
sill string to first floor. Projecting pedimented 3-bay centre with giant
Ionic Order. Central half-glazed double door with radial fanlight. All
ground- and first-floor windows 12-pane sashes, those on first-floor centre
with fluted friezes and console bracketed pediments; similar friezes and
cornices in outer bays. 6-pane second-floor sashes in architraves. All
windows renewed. Modillion eaves cornice; worn Grey crest and motto in
modillioned pediment. 5-bay returns have similar detail, with pedimented
1st-floor centre windows.

Interior: Entrance hall, flanked by distyle Roman Doric screens, has metope
frieze, with flowers and bucrania, and decorative plaster ceiling. Most of
the interior was renewed in 1928. Most fittings of earlier date now removed,
although some ornamental plaster ceilings remain. C17 carved stone fireplace,
brought from a Yorkshire house, in study.

Listing NGR: NU2480217499

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.