This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0068 / 52°0'24"N
Longitude: -1.8972 / 1°53'49"W
OS Eastings: 407154
OS Northings: 234272
OS Grid: SP071342
Mapcode National: GBR 3MK.169
Mapcode Global: VHB17.2TDF
Entry Name: Charity Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Last Amended: 7 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134868
Location: Stanton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, WR12
Civil Parish: Stanton
Built-Up Area: Stanton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Stanton and Snowshill
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
STANTON STANTON VILLAGE
11/84 Charity Farmhouse
(formerly listed as Charity Farm)
Former farmhouse, now house. Probably C17, altered C19, enlarged
1922 by and for Sir P. Stott (datestone). Coursed, squared stone:
timber-framing with rendered infill; stone slate roof. Three-
bay, 1 1/2 storey main section: 3-bay, single storey extension to
left, 2-storey cross wing behind. Entrance front: part-height
straight joint on right near corner: single-storey canted bay, 3-
light casement, hipped roof. Half-glazed door up one stone step,
marginal lights, 2 panels below. Three-light stone-mullioned
windows. Above, parapet gable on right, ashlar chimney, moulded
cap: 3 gabled dormers, each with 3-light casements. Chimney from
eaves left end, left gable rendered over timber-framing. To left,
lower wing: canted single-storey bay, 3-light mullioned window,
hipped roof. Boarded door up 5 stone steps, 4-centred arch, stone
lintel. Gabled dormer with 2-light casement; parapet gable left
end. Right return, lower part covered by late C20 conservatory,
not of special interest. Covers 2-light Perpendicular window said
to be from Hailes Abbey.
Interior: stone-paved entrance hall, timber-framed cross walls.
Wide stone fireplace, timber lintel in room to right: exposed beam
and bar-stop chamfered joists. Exposed unchamfered joists room to
left. House of Miss E. Wedgwood, visited by J.M. Barrie, Sargent
and H.G. Wells.
(T. Edwards, in Country Life, 1952)
Listing NGR: SP0715434272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings