This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7033 / 50°42'11"N
Longitude: -2.4134 / 2°24'48"W
OS Eastings: 370900
OS Northings: 89380
OS Grid: SY709893
Mapcode National: GBR PZ.C8CD
Mapcode Global: FRA 57T6.ZJN
Entry Name: Old Came Rectory
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106005
Location: Winterborne Came, West Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Winterborne Came
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Dorchester and West Stafford
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 78 NW WINTERBORNE CAME
6/111 Old Came Rectory
Former rectory, now dwelling house. Early C19. Cob and rubble
stone walls, rendered and painted. Thatch roof, hipped at both
ends. Brick stacks, at left and right hand on ridge,
rebuilt C20. Two storeys. 3 windows to front (south west) elevation.
Ground floor has French windows with a lozenge pattern of glazing
bars. Remainder are 2 light casements also with a lozenge and
elongated hexagonal pattern of glazing bars. Front door at centre
has a rebuilt architrave with fluted pilasters and plain entablature.
Door has two bottom panels and a pattern of marginal glazing bars over
C19. Pentice roofed verandah in thatch, originally all wooden
supports, now with rubble stone piers at corners and to main
entrance, with 3 wood posts between. French windows on south east
elevation, same design. House has been extended at rear by one room,
2 storeys, same render and thatch. Interior: central hall with double depth
plan of rooms. Doorway in hall has reeded architrave, bossed imposts
and fanlight over, early C19. Staircase with stick balusters and
mahogany hand rail. The house was the home of William Barnes, scholar,
poet, schoolmaster and rector of Winterborne Came from 1862 to 1886.
He lies buried in Came Churchyard (q.v.). (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.386
(4). Plate 42).
Listing NGR: SY7090089380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings