This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8939 / 50°53'37"N
Longitude: -2.578 / 2°34'40"W
OS Eastings: 359441
OS Northings: 110645
OS Grid: ST594106
Mapcode National: GBR MR.RW3V
Mapcode Global: FRA 56HR.1GG
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 31 July 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 106138
Location: Yetminster, West Dorset, Dorset, DT9
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Yetminster
Built-Up Area: Yetminster
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Yetminster and Hilfield
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 5910 (West side)
11/120 Parish Church of
31.7.61 Saint Andrew
Anglican Parish Church. Chancel late C13, rest of church C15. Restored 1890.
Rubble stone walls with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs, with battlemented
parapets to aisles and porch; coped gable to chancel. Nave, north and south
aisles of 3 bays, chancel, north porch, west tower. Tower, of 3 stages, has
battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Square stair turret on north.
Buttresses to west angles. Moulded string course with gargoyles at base of
parapet. String courses to each stage, and moulded plinth. 2-light belfry
windows with Perpendicular tracery. Main west window of 5 lights, with
Perpendicular tracery. West doorway with moulded pointed arch. Aisle walls
buttressed, with diagonal buttresses at angles. Aisle windows of 4 lights,
with Perpendicular tracery. In centre of south aisle wall a pointed arched
doorway, under square hoodmould. In centre of north aisle wall, porch with
pointed arched doorway, with circular shafts. At east end of north aisle
wall a small blocked window at high level. North and south chancel walls
each have 2 double-lancet windows, and central buttress. East window of
3 lights - reset. 10 consecration crosses cut on buttresses and windows.
Internal walls plastered. Chancel has a C19 pointed waggon roof. Several
C18 and early Cl9 wall tablets. Chancel arch, C15, moulded has shaftes with
floral carved capitals. Nave has C15 waggon roof with moulded ribs and
carved bosses. Low-pitched C15 lean-to roofs to aisles, with moulded beams
and curved bosses - main beams carried on wall shafts. Nave arcades have
composite piers - caps with foliage and animal carvings. Tower of colour on
arches, and north aisle roof. Altar rails C18, with turned balusters. Brass
of 1531 on south aisle wall. Base of C13 font re-set in west wall of aisle.
Good C18 monument above this. Simple Cl5 font. C15 benches in nave. Good
monument of 1649 on west wall of north aisle with kneeling figure. Crown
glass in aisle windows. Pulpit c1920, by Willan of Yeovil.
(RCHM Monument 1 Dorset. Vol. I)
Listing NGR: ST5943810646
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings