History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brides Hill Holiday Home

A Grade II Listed Building in Allendale, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9016 / 54°54'5"N

Longitude: -2.2671 / 2°16'1"W

OS Eastings: 382970

OS Northings: 556350

OS Grid: NY829563

Mapcode National: GBR DCLR.ZQ

Mapcode Global: WHB2P.42P6

Entry Name: Brides Hill Holiday Home

Listing Date: 23 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154344

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240166

Location: Allendale, Northumberland, NE47

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Allendale

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Allendale St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Allendale Town

Listing Text

NY 85 NW ALLENDALE ALLENMILL

9/45 Brides Hill Holiday
Home

II


Former School, dated '1851' on gable panel. Squared stone, tooled and
margined quoins and right gable stack, timber porches, slate roof, 2 ridge
and left gable stacks rendered, coped gables with moulded kneelers. Single
storey, 7 bays; central gabled bay,with obelisk finial,has 2 4-panelled
doors with 6-pane overlights under latticed timber porches with ornamental
bargeboards and finials. To either side 3 36-pane sashes in dressed stone
surrounds, slightly projecting sills. Left and right returns have doorways
under latticed timber porches, right return has projecting stack carried on
4 block corbels. Rear elevation has central bay with 2 boarded doors with
8-pane overlights. Small flanking gabled wings and 3 36-pane sashes
beyond, to either side.

Brides Hill School was established in 1704 in a cottage 100 metres north of
the present building, to cater for the children of lead miners. An inscribed
panel above the front doors of the present building, probably concealed by
the name board, is reported to read;
'built by, and on land belonging
to W.B. Beaumont Esq., for the education
of children of all religious denominations
1851'


Listing NGR: NY8297056350

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.