This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9398 / 51°56'23"N
Longitude: -1.6465 / 1°38'47"W
OS Eastings: 424394
OS Northings: 226865
OS Grid: SP243268
Mapcode National: GBR 5R9.BKB
Mapcode Global: VHBZ6.DHWT
Entry Name: Adlestrop Park
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154355
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130119
Location: Adlestrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Adlestrop
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Adlestrop
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ADLESTROP ADLESTROP VILLAGE
SP 22 NW
4/7 Adlestrop Park
Reputed former barn converted into house by William Leigh mid C17.
Now school. Remodelled late C17-early C18 by Theophilus Leigh.
Small extension c1750 and south-west wing added 1759-1763 by
Sanderson Miller for James Leigh. House extended 1796-1799 by
James Henry Leigh. East wing demolished c1950. Coursed, squared
and dressed limestone, slate roof, ashlar stacks. Plan, late C17
main body running south-west - north-east extended back rear right
and rear left. C18 wing onto right gable end. North-west entrance
front with C18 extension breaking forward on right. North-west
entrance front 3 storeys, symmetrical facade, windows grouped 1:3:1
with strings between storeys. 2, 3, and 4-light double-chamfered,
stone-mullioned windows with transoms to ground and first floors.
2-light flat-chamfered stone-mullioned windows to second floor with
parapet above. Leaded panes to most windows. Central projecting
C19 porch incorporating classical door surround of c1700. C19-C20
6-panel door within moulded, eared architrave with heraldic shield
forming keystone with lions head above. Doorway flanked by
detached Ionic columns supporting an open segmental pediment, urn
flanked by fruit wthin tympanum. South-west front by Sanderson
Miller. Symmetrical facade, 2 1/2 storeys. 3 bays with 2 Cotswold
dormers flanking large central gable lit by 2 and 3-light stone-
mullioned casements with trefoil-headed lights and stopped hoods.
Cartouche over central 3-light window. 2-storey, 3-light canted
bay windows and crocketed pinnacles. Pointed arched niches with
foliate decoration above in sides of bays. Engaged fretted
balustrade with pinnacles over 3 windows at centre. Similar
grouping of windows below with central window also forming door.
All windows to ground and first floors sashes with Gothic glazing
with moulded 'Tudor'-arched surrounds . Stone panels decorated in
low relief with heraldic shield and quatrefoil motif between ground
and first floor windows. Polygonal buttresses at corners and
flanking central bay. Domed finials with sides pierced by pointed
arches. String courses above ground floor windows and above and
below first floor windows. Stone mounting block adjacent to north-
Interior: Jacobean staircase with heavy square balusters. Carved
mid C17 wood fireplace over-mantel decorated with heraldic shields
and vine scroll. Original dragon frieze over continued around room
with C19 square panelling below. C18 'L' shaped stair with 3
turned balusters to every tread and simple circular decoration in
relief on tread ends. Decorated newel (enclosed for protection).
Simple rococo rose by Thomas Collet over stair. (VCH Glos. Vol
Listing NGR: SP2439426865
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings