This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9742 / 54°58'27"N
Longitude: -2.2471 / 2°14'49"W
OS Eastings: 384280
OS Northings: 564427
OS Grid: NY842644
Mapcode National: GBR DBRX.9P
Mapcode Global: WHB29.G75J
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154539
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239287
Location: Haydon, Northumberland, NE47
Civil Parish: Haydon
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Haydon Bridge St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 8464 HAYDON CHURCH STREET (East side )
13/37 Church of St. Cuthbert,
Parish church. 1796, north transept added 1865, chancel enlarged and south
elevation gothicised 1898. Tooled and margined ashlar on south, rubble on north
re-used from the medieval church and including squared Roman stones. Slate roofs,
stone-coped gables with moulded kneelers. Nave, west tower, north transept and
chancel. Tower divided by bands into three stages, with projecting moulded cornice
and swept pyramidal roof. Lower stage has C19 pointed-arched door on south,sundial
dated '1796' over and round-headed window with renewed latticed glazing bars above.
Similar windows on west,the upper one blind, and stone external stair on north up
to tall round-headed doorway, farmer gallery access. Second stage has small square
windows on all 3 sides. Third stage had round-headed belfry openings on east and
west, similar openings blocked and partly hidden by clock faces on other sides.
4-bay nave has plinth and late C19 2-light windows in C14 style. North transept
has tooled and margined quoins, round-headed windows on the north and west and door
on the east. 2-bay chancel has plinth, late C19 2-light windows on the south, and
east, and two round-headed windows (the eastern re-set in 1898) on the north.
Interior. Late Cl9 chancel arch, roof and most furnishings. C18 Royal Arms on
west wall. Late C19 marble font. Glass by Kempe in chancel windows. Damaged C14
effigy under crocketed canopy and C17(?) carving of angel, brought from old church.
The church was erected by the Greenwich Hospital Commissioners in 1796. The north
transept was added in 1869 to accommodate children from the Shaftoe Trust School.
Listing NGR: NY8428064427
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings