This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1305 / 55°7'49"N
Longitude: -1.9089 / 1°54'31"W
OS Eastings: 405907
OS Northings: 581797
OS Grid: NZ059817
Mapcode National: GBR H933.JN
Mapcode Global: WHB1P.N96Q
Entry Name: East Shaftoe Hall
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Last Amended: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154609
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238600
Location: Capheaton, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Capheaton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cambo Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 08 SE
East Shaftoe Hall
27.8.52 (formerly listed as
Shaftoe Craggs or
East Shaftoe House)
House. Late C13 or C14 tower, attached house possibly C16 extended and altered
mid C17 and again in C18. Squared stone and random rubble. Lakeland slate
roof. Medieval tower to left with later house attached to right. Extreme
right section has walls of similar thickness to tower and may have been a second
tower linked to the first by a hall range. Central section extended to rear
in C18 and the whole re-roofed to make a roughly rectangular building. 2
storeys plus attic. In three sections: Left bay is the tower, of large, even,
medieval squared stone; early C17 round-headed doorway with roll-moulded
surround and above a 12-pane Yorkshire sash in double-chamfered surround.
Right of this a straight joint to second section, the later house, which is 3
bays with 12-pane sashes in C17 chamfered surrounds under string courses.
Projecting 2-bay section on extreme right has early C17 doorway to left with
multi-moulded surround and renewed Tudor-arched lintel; 12- and 9-pane sashes
in double-chamfered surrounds. Hipped roof with large external stacks to right
and to rear. C19 lean-to carriage house on left return.
Interior: tower has tunnel-vaulted ground floor strengthened by 8 massive
square-section transverse ribs; in north-west corner pointed-arched chamfered
doorway to newel stair of which only the circular stairwell remains. Similar
broader doorway into attached house. Mid C17 open-well staircase with moulded
handrail, square newels with ball finialsand diabolo balusters; the balustrade
continues beyond the present top of the stairs and is an indication that the
house was once 3 full storeys.
Adjacent to south-east corner is a round font from former Shaftoe Church, now
used as a planter: probably C12.
Listing NGR: NZ0590781797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings