History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade I Listed Building in Dumbleton, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0085 / 52°0'30"N

Longitude: -2.0207 / 2°1'14"W

OS Eastings: 398676

OS Northings: 234447

OS Grid: SO986344

Mapcode National: GBR 2L1.5XR

Mapcode Global: VHB14.XSL6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1154943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135176

Location: Dumbleton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Dumbleton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Great Washbourne St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


5/80 Church of St Mary



Small Anglican church. Early C12, partly rebuilt by John
Cartwright in 1642 as indicated by an inscription on the exterior
of the east gable end, extended C19. Nave: limestone rubble;
chancel part rubble, part coursed squared and dressed limestone
where rebuilt; rendered bell turret; vestry incised rendered with
red tile roof; stone slate roof. Plan: nave with vestry at
right angles; chancel; bell turret runs east from the east end of
the nave. Nave south wall: trefoil-headed lancet to right;
central plank door with C12 lintel decorated with a Maltese cross
in relief; chip-carved rosettes with pellet decoration below the
cross. Nave north wall with buttress with offsets at the north
east corner; segmental-headed 3-light window with hollow-moulded
mullions and a restored head and hood to the right. C19 vestry
with 2-light trefoil-headed north window. The west end of the
nave appears to have been rebuilt, when the tall Perpendicular west
window was inserted. Chancel south wall: trefoil-headed lancet
to the rubble-built part; flat-chamfered plinth to the rebuilt
part to the right; C18 two-light window with stilted-headed lights
casement and quirked mouldings to the mullions, leaded panes with
leaf-shaped-panes at the top. Segmental-headed 3-light east
window with mullions with quirked mouldings and trefoil-headed
tracery and stopped hood. Rectangular inscription panel with
CHANCELL / ANO DOMI : 1642' above. Single-light C18 window
similar to that lighting the south wall on the north. Traces of
white limewash on the chancel. Simple squat gabled bell turret
with small trefoil-headed belfry windows with wooden surrounds and
axial weathervane. Stepped gable-end coping and upright cross
finials at the gable end of the nave and chancel. Church
interior: limewashed. Nave 3 bays. Chancel 2 bays. Possibly
late C16-early C17 collar and tie-beam roof with jewelled stops to
tie-beam and run-out stops to the collar. Simple collar beam
trusses to the chancel: 2 massive tie beams with triangular stops
supporting the belfry. Flagged flooring. Small C12 chancel arch
with imposts; small trefoil-headed squint to the right; larger
squint to the left. Three late C19-early C20 pews at rear
otherwise loose seating. C18 panelled pulpit set within a raised
rectangular enclosure. C19 harmonium in the south east corner.
Perpendicular octagonal font at the centre of the chancel. Simple
C19 communion rails with stick balusters. Small late C18-early
C19 chest and C18 chair with floral inlay also. Simple C20 altar
table. Traces of C12 and later wall paintings on all 4 walls of
the nave and in the splay of the C12 window. The painting
includes a consecration cross within a double circle painted in
red. Black and white marble monument to Rev. Evan Clerk, died
1837, on the south wall of the nave. Nave north wall: slatestone
monument to Esther Martin, died 1801 with a triangular pediment
with foliate decoration at the bottom and pediment with green and
red painted decoration. White and black marble monument to Robert
Prance J.P., died 1869, on the east wall. Small ledger with
segmental ends in front of the chancel arch to Elizabeth West died
1751. Various C18 ledgers concealed by carpet in nave. George
IV hatchment over the chancel arch.
(David Verey: The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest
of Dean, 1980.

Listing NGR: SO9867234448

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.