This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1064 / 51°6'23"N
Longitude: -1.1298 / 1°7'47"W
OS Eastings: 461016
OS Northings: 134482
OS Grid: SU610344
Mapcode National: GBR 971.H5D
Mapcode Global: VHD10.CGK5
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145288
Location: Bighton, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24
Civil Parish: Bighton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Bighton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 63 SW BIGHTON BIGHTON
3/2 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
Parish church. C12, C13, C19 and early C20. Rubble flint with stone and some brick
dressings, all rendered, old plain tile roof. Plan of C12 single cell chancel and
nave with late C12 N & S aisles with attached E chapels, all under roof outshot from
nave roof. Later W tower and S porch and C19 NE vestry. Chancel has early C12
narrow round headed lights on N and S (that on N hidden by vestry), E window has
C19 Y-tracery and hood moulding inserted into earlier opening, and diagonal
buttresses, with sloping tiled face. All other windows plain lancets, mostly
restored C19, except for small cinquefoiled light W of porch. Porch all plastered
including pointed arch to doorway. Tower has masonry lower stage, painted weather-
boarded upper stages and hipped foor, with weathervane. Lean-to vestry to N wall of
chancel has roof of same pitch but at lower level. Inside chancel early C12 side
windows have inclined jambs on inner splays, and E window has jambs with engaged
angle shafts, c1300. In SE corner trefoiled piscina, c1300, with projecting
draining bowl, nearby squint from S chapel. Arches to chapels plain square pointed
with string at springing, c1180. N chapel has blocked E window of 2 trefoiled
lights c1300, and in arch trefoiled piscina with shelf. At W ends of both chapels
pointed arches. Nave rebuilt late C12 with 2 bay arcades of pointed arches, plain
responds and round piers having moulded bases with angle spurs, square abaci, capitals
multi-scalloped to S and trumpet scalloped to N. At W end late C12 Purbeck table
font with round arcade on sides, on centre column minus outer shafts, nearby against
respond c1190 pillar piscina with leaf capital. Tower has C19 groined vaulted
ceiling and pointed arch. Belfry has early C16 bell by Roger Landon. Painted and
gilded chancel screen with beam above and roof of nave and aisles, 1904 by Sir
Ninian Comper. Royal Coat of Arms late C17 on canvas. Monuments 1708 Rev Hopkins,
1811 Rev Harrison, and cartouche tablets of 1695 and 1735. VCH; Vol 3; p 40.
'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 101 - 2.
Listing NGR: SU6237834708
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings