This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.0417 / 55°2'30"N
Longitude: -2.1094 / 2°6'33"W
OS Eastings: 393108
OS Northings: 571918
OS Grid: NY931719
Mapcode National: GBR FBQ4.3H
Mapcode Global: WHB1Z.KJRS
Plus Code: 9C7V2VRR+M7
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239581
Location: Chollerton, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Chollerton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Chollerton St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 97 SW CHOLLERTON CHOLLERTON
14/46 Church of St. Giles
Parish Church. C12, C14, c1796. Restored and gothicized 1873. Ashlar. North
wall random rubble. Welsh and Lakeland slate roofs.
West tower, nave, aisles, chancel and south torch.
West tower of 3 stages. Lower 2 stages of 1769 have alternating rusticated quoins,
flat band above ground floor and cornice above 1st floor. 3rd stage, added in
1873, has battlements, crocketed pinnacles and 2-stage wood-shingled spire.
Cusped ogival windows added at same time, 2-light on ground floor, 1-light on
1st floor; also 2-light Decorated bell opening.
4-bay nave has Victorian south porch in left bay and 2-light windows with cusped
2-bay chancel has arched 2-light windows with quatrefoils over. Similar 3-light
east window. Chancel north wall has 3 early medieval cross heads built in
beneath tall cylindrical chimney and above lean-to boiler house with stone slate
Interior has early C13 south arcade with 3 piers and 2 responds which are Roman
monolithic columns, probably from Corstopitum. They have round capitals, square
abaci and double-chamfered pointed arches.
C14 north arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and similar arches.
Chancel arch Victorian. Nave windows and doors have Victorian shouldered lintels.
C19 canted panelled ceilings. Nave has arch-braced king-post trusses.
2 fonts, one a large re-used Roman altar, the other C13 with round bowl on
square stem with broach-stopped chamfers and 4 colonettes with moulded capitals.
C17 font cover with scrolls and turned finial. C17 choir stall backs and altar
back; elaborately-carved panels are re-used domestic material.
Organ by Father Schmidt, given in 1850, altered.
Medieval coffin lids and architectural fragments built into south porch.
Northumberland County History Vol 1V
Listing NGR: NY9311171917
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings