History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade I Listed Building in Upper Oddington, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.928 / 51°55'40"N

Longitude: -1.6598 / 1°39'35"W

OS Eastings: 423487

OS Northings: 225549

OS Grid: SP234255

Mapcode National: GBR 5RH.15Z

Mapcode Global: VHBZ6.5SWW

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130280

Location: Oddington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Oddington

Built-Up Area: Upper Oddington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Oddington Holy Ascension

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP 2325
11/167 Church of St. Nicholas
Former Anglican parish church now redundant. C12, C13, C14, C15
and C19. Coursed, squared and dressed limestone, stone slate roof.
C12 nave, now south aisle, with C14 projecting porch, on south, C13
tower at east end. C13 nave north of south aisle and tower with
buttressed C15 chancel at east end. South aisle: keel moulded
string course, small lancet at west end with keel-moulded, stopped
hood. Monument to John Gardner, his wife and four children, with
winged cherub at top, 3 carved faces and festoon below, lower
right. South wall: 3-light C14 windows with reticulated tracery
and stopped hoods flanking porch. Pointed arched entrance to porch
with mass dial on left. C13 three stage tower possibly built on
foundations of C12 chancel, C14 window with quatrefoil in south
wall, lancet window in east wall, lancet windows on each face of
second stage, 2-light belfry windows on each face of third stage,
embattlemented parapet with gargoyles. Chancel south wall; two C14
lancets, C20 plank priests door within pointed-arched surround. 3
separate cinquefoil lights at east end. Two C14 lancets in north
wall. Nave north wall: C20 rectangular casement lower left, partly
blocked pointed arched C15 doorway with stopped hood and C19 'Y'
tracery at top, 3-light C15 west window. Roof; flat and slightly
stepped gable-end coping with roll-cross saddles.
Interior: stone bench seats within porch with incised lines where
yeomen are reputed to have sharpened their arrows. C12 pointed
arched entrance to south aisle flanked by engaged columns with
stiff leaf capitals and moulded imposts, keel moulded hood above
with beast's head stops, 2 steps down to south aisle. C13, two-bay
double-chamfered pointed arched arcade with composite piers and
responds with octagonal or semi-octagonal moulded capitals, traces
of painted decoration on both arches. Similar but blocked arch
with round-headed entrance through blocking to chapel at base of
tower, fragment of stone sculpture upper left of pointed arch, C13
pointed arch from chancel to nave with C19 wooden screen inserted.
C13 pointed-arched piscina with stopped hood in east wall of
chapel. Two original cinquefoil image niches at east end of nave
either side of altar. Red and black tile floors to chancel
otherwise flag floors. Coved plaster ceiling hides timbers of
south aisle roof. C15 roof with braced tie beam and corbels
decorated with carved faces to nave. Simple C19 roof with collar
to chancel. Wall paintings, very large mid C14 Doom wall painting
on north wall of nave. Traces of wall painting on east wall of
chapel and above image niches at east end of chancel. C15 octag-
onal font with quatrefoil decoration on each face at south end of
nave. C17 carved oak hexagonal wooden pulpit with sounding board.
C17 altar table, C18 communion rails, C19 chairs and pews C19. C15
oak bench with carved ends in chapel. Monuments etc; wooden ben-
efaction board left of west window in nave with details of benefac-
tion by Joseph Harvey of Churchill by his will dated 1812. Small
square canvas bearing Queen Victoria's royal arms right of window.
Royal arms of William IV painted over chancel arch. 3 monuments on
north wall of chancel: white on black monument to Rev. Joseph Owen,
curate of the parish, died 1826; brass plaque to The Honourable
John Talbot Rice died 1899; limestone and marble monument to Thomas
Chamberlayne, died 1640 comprising oval plaque with keyed surround
flanked by 2 Doric columns supporting an open segmental pediment
enclosing a cartouche. Carved bones, skulls, etc., at bottom
flanking plaque recording the erection of the monument at the
expense of John Chamberlayne. South wall: white and grey marble
plaque to Charlotte Rice, died 1832 another to Elizabeth Lenthal
died 1830, brass plaque to Rev. Edward Rice, Dean of Gloucester
died 1862 below. Commandment boards set in image niches either
side of altar. History: church originally belonged to St Peter's
Abbey, Gloucester, was ceded to the See of York in 1157 and exchan-
ged with the Crown in 1545. In the C13 Oddington was a residence
of the Archbishop of York. (David Verey: The Buildings of England,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP2348425548

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.