This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7299 / 51°43'47"N
Longitude: -2.1104 / 2°6'37"W
OS Eastings: 392473
OS Northings: 203465
OS Grid: SO924034
Mapcode National: GBR 2P7.F9D
Mapcode Global: VH950.CSP8
Entry Name: Iles Green with Wall to Courtyard
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155458
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132600
Location: Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Bisley-with-Lypiatt
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Oakridge St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 90 SW BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT FAR OAKRIDGE
7/44 Iles Green with
wall to courtyard
Large detached house. Dated 1614; enlarged early C18. 1914
enlargement incorporating former barn to north west by Norman
Jewson for Sir William Rothenstein. Further additions of c1930.
Random rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate
roof. South-east facing 2-storey with attic range; 2-storey link
section to single-storey with attic former barn to north-west
forming courtyard. Two-storey range to north east. South east
front: 4-window fenestration to earliest part to right, mixture of
2 and 3-light, recessed chamfered and cavetto mullioned with
hoodmoulds. Off-centre weatherboard-clad gabled porch; cellar
doorway with timber lintel and plank door to left, 2-light cellar
casement to right. Two-window 2-light recessed cavetto mullioned
casements with hoodmoulds to C18 addition, left; central single-
light to ground floor possibly in former door position. Three
ridge-mounted chimneys with moulded caps. Courtyard: chimney
gable to rear of C17 house. Linking range formerly with 4-bay
arcade to ground floor, space between circular rubble columns
filled in 1930 alterations with leaded casements in rubble masonry.
Four gabled roof dormers above have plasterwork decoration by
Norman Jewson, wreaths containing: '1614', 'W R', 'A M R' and
'1914' to each gable from left to right. Ridge-mounted rubble
chimney with stone slate weatherings. Former barn projecting
forward to left of link has large buttress with attached rainwater
leadwork having 'W R' and '1914'. Inserted 2-light casements and 2
eaves-mounted hipped roof dormers. Later alteration to former
outbuilding at south west end of barn. Wall enclosing courtyard
has swept coping to gateway with simple stone piers; original
timber gate replaced by wrought iron, approached by flight of semi-
circular stone steps. North east side: panelled treatment to
gable end of former barn forming 4-light casement to ground and
upper floors. 1930 wing projects forward to left with continuous
stone slate drip courses above timber casement fenestraton. North
west side: central gabled porch with cambered arched doorway;
plank door. Two hipped roof dormers.
Interior: former barn extensively fitted out by Norman Jewson with
his characterstic vertical board and cover strip panel-ling, plank
doors having ironwork by Alfred Bucknell.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; and D.
Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO9247303465
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings