This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3096 / 52°18'34"N
Longitude: -2.3656 / 2°21'56"W
OS Eastings: 375170
OS Northings: 268003
OS Grid: SO751680
Mapcode National: GBR 0C8.2S1
Mapcode Global: VH924.Y68T
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 152240
Location: Abberley, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR6
District: Malvern Hills
Civil Parish: Abberley
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Abberley
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO 76 NW ABBERLEY CP ABBERLEY
3/14 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1850-52 by J J Cole, rebuilt with alterations after a fire
in 1876, also by Cole. Ashlar, slate roofs now tarred. In a late C13
style and consisting of south-west tower, nave, north and south aisles,
south porch, chancel, south and north chapels and vestry.
Tower of 3 stages with setback buttresses and plain, broached spire;
two single light windows to bell chamber, single light to second stage
and 2-light south, either plain lancets or plain Geometrical style. Project-
ing gabled south porch with setback buttresses, outer doorway of 2 orders
with stiff-leaf capitals, arch enriched with clusters of fleur-de-lys.
5 bay south and north aisles (2 bay of south-aisle obscured by tower and
porch), of 2-light Geometrical style windows, with buttresses between;
square bell tower projects towards west end of north aisle. Chancel 5-light
Geometrical style east window with cusped circles above. Interior Polished
circular columns with stiff-leaf capitals to the arcades. 2-bay open screen
to south chapel with cusped tracery on slender shafts. Double chamfered
chancel arch, the inner arch resting on triple polished shafts, all with
leaf capitals. Pulpit and pews of 1870s. Hexagonal stone font. (BoE, 1968).
Listing NGR: SO7517068003
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings