History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Swan

A Grade II Listed Building in Lechlade-on-Thames, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.6947 / 51°41'40"N

Longitude: -1.6915 / 1°41'29"W

OS Eastings: 421419

OS Northings: 199596

OS Grid: SU214995

Mapcode National: GBR 4ST.R52

Mapcode Global: VHC0B.MNMP

Entry Name: The Swan

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155672

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128982

Location: Lechlade, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Lechlade

Built-Up Area: Lechlade-on-Thames

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Lechlade St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(west side)

10/137 The Swan
(formerly listed as Swan Hotel)



Inn. Recorded since 1513, existing buildings probably of early C18
to right and originally late C17 frontage, altered after fire in
early C20, to left. Two buildings with carriage arch in right hand
building, both of coursed rubble stone partly dressed and with
several deep courses, stone slate roof. Right hand building has
stone end stack partly external to right, brick end stack to left.
Left hand building has external stone stack with brick flue now
incorporated in roof of The Byte to south (q.v.). Left hand side
of single front range and long rear extension, 2 storeys and attic.
Two large gables rising over restored 6-light stone mullion canted
bays of 2 storeys, with 2-light stone mullion with square hoodmould
in each gable. Central doorcase with moulded stone jambs and
lintel and flat hood on console brackets. All restored early C20
after fire. Right hand side of single range with inn on first
floor only. Steep pitched roof with very elaborately carved stone
eaves cornice, three 12-pane sashes with thick glazing bars in
moulded stone surrounds. Large carriage arch to left on ground
floor, with shop front to right, which forms part of Pigeon Close
(The Paper Shop) (q.v.). Rear extension on left hand side includes
former stable and loft with partially hipped stone slate roof and
flight of stone steps to rear to loft door.

Listing NGR: SU2141599593

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.