This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7585 / 51°45'30"N
Longitude: -1.8348 / 1°50'5"W
OS Eastings: 411499
OS Northings: 206658
OS Grid: SP114066
Mapcode National: GBR 3QJ.QY6
Mapcode Global: VHB2M.42W8
Entry Name: Arlington Row
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155677
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127306
Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Bibury
Built-Up Area: Arlington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BIBURY AWKWARD HILL
11/60 Nos 1 to 9 (consec)
Originally wool store, possibly containing domestic portion.
Altered to row of weavers' houses. Late C14; late C17 conversion
with late C17 or early C18 additions. Repaired by Royal Society
of Arts in 1929; restored by The National Trust in early 1970s.
Random rubble limestone; ashlar and rubble chimneys; stone slate
roof. Earliest part is single-storey with attic; 2-storey houses
added at ends, one to east, 2 to west. Various single-storey rear
additions, some with attics. Front: low eaves to early part with
4 half gables, 3 eaves-mounted gables and 2 C20 hipped roof
dormers. Three half gables of unequal size are grouped to left,
one with 2-light recessed chamfered casement, others with leaded
timber casements and timber lintels. Mixture of leaded casements
to ground floor; paired doorways with timber lintels and plank
doors to No 3. Stone flat-arched doorway to No 5; timber lintel to
No 6. Two gabled eaves-mounted dormers and 2 hipped roof dormers
to Nos 5 and 6, all with leaded casements. Two-light ground floor
recessed chamfered casement with hoodmould to Nos 6 and 7. Ridge-
mounted chimneys. are mostly C20 rebuilt with plain caps except one
in ashlar with moulded cap. Original gable end coping partially
visible at west end with trefoil enriched apex saddle. C17 east
end addition to left has higher eaves and upper floor timber
casement; blocked former doorway to ground floor now containing
small leaded fixed-light. C17 additions to west end step up
slope, each house having half gable and leaded timber casement
fenestration with timber lintels. Rear: many gabled additions of
various dates. Mixed fenestration, mostly timber casements with
timber lintels. Coped gable ends to original building are more
easily visible to rear. Interior: extensively subdivided upon
conversion to houses, dividing walls containing fireplaces and
spiral staircases not coinciding with positions of roof trusses.
Many houses built to cross-passage plan. Most trusses are of
raised cruck type with arched braced collars, one cruck blade
consisting of 3 pieces scarfed together. Since William Morris's
'discovery' of Bibury, this row has been considered as the most
picturesque in the Cotswolds, the undulating roofline resulting
from some weakening of the original roof structure. The effect is
enhanced by the addition of irregular C17 gables and its position
by the mill stream. Owned by The National Trust.
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.21-44; E.
Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, 1975; D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; and L.F. Walrond, 'The
Medieval Houses of Rural Gloucestershire in ed. A. Saville,
Archaeology in Gloucestershire, 1984).
Listing NGR: SP1149906658
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings