History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bibury Court Hotel

A Grade I Listed Building in Bibury, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.757 / 51°45'25"N

Longitude: -1.8294 / 1°49'45"W

OS Eastings: 411870

OS Northings: 206493

OS Grid: SP118064

Mapcode National: GBR 4RW.SCR

Mapcode Global: VHB2M.73QD

Entry Name: Bibury Court Hotel

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Last Amended: 5 February 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155708

English Heritage Legacy ID: 127310

Location: Bibury, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Bibury

Built-Up Area: Arlington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Bibury with Winson

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SP 1006-1106
11/64 Bibury Court Hotel
(Formerly listed as Bibury Court)
Former large country house, now hotel. Late C16; large
additional range and wing dated 1633 for Sir Thomas Sackville.
Interior remodelled c1759 for Estcourt Cresswell; further C19
addition and alterations; c1922 interior alterations by
Nightingale and Kennedy. Ashlar limestone; roughcast render;
ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Main 2-storey with attic
north-south range; south wing. North wing formed from C16 house;
late C19 2-storey north wing. East front: symmetrical centre
flanked by asymmetrical - although balanced - north and south
wings. Three gables with moulded parapets and finials to main
range, central gable being shaped with 2-storey porch below having
round arched doorway set between Tuscan pilasters all having
Serlian rustication; ball finials to pilasters above continuous
ground floor entablature. Pedimented tablet over doorway contains
Sackville arms and is dated 'ANO DNI : 1633' on frieze; Sackville
initials carved on oval set in tympanum. Mullioned and transomed
casement to upper floor of porch with second continuous entablature
over; crenellated parapet. Four-light wide mullioned and
transomed casements to 2-storey rectangular bays in line with outer
gables, also with crenellated parapet; 3-light cavetto mullioned
attic casements with floating cornices in gables. Flanking 2-
Light wide cross windows to main range wall, either side of each
bay. Contemporary 1633 south wing projects forward with 2
forecourt-facing gables; 2 to east elevation of different sizes,
right with 2-storey bay window set below. Entablatures continued
from main range. Late C16 house forms north wing to right with 2
forecourt-facing gables, 2-window fenestration below generally
matching that to main range although set at lower levels. Two
gables of different sizes to east front, left with original ground
floor 3-light casement with hoodmould, mullioned and transomed
casement to upper floor and 3-light to attic. Inserted upper
floor 12-pane sash below right gable. C20 rebuilt service wing to
right possibly incorporates earlier structure. Many rainwater
heads dated 1759. South end and rear: irregular with many
gables, entirely roughcast rendered with continuous drip moulds to
south end only. Some gables at south end have rectangular recess
in gable apex. Fenestration generally mullioned and transomed
with mullioned attic casements, all with hoodmoulds. Several
gables have 2 or 3 diagonal chimney shafts with moulded caps.
c1922 alterations include glazed arcade to part of rear elevation.
Interior: mostly results from c1922 with some more recent
alterations in conversion to hotel. Former library has
interesting French Art Deco panelling and decoration by Dominic.
One upper floor room at north end retains mid C18 decorative
plasterwork to ceiling and contemporary fireplace. Some late C16
moulded stone doorways in north wing. Plastered cross-vaulted
ceilings in attics of south wing. Picturesque position alongside
river at east end of village. Two buildings contemporary with
late C16 house stand to north: outbuilding and stable (q.v.) and
Coach House Bar (q.v.).
(A.D., article in Country Life, 7th September 1912; A.R.J. Jurica,
'Bibury' in V.C.H. Glos vii, 1981, pp.21-44; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).

Listing NGR: SP1187006493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.