This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9267 / 51°55'36"N
Longitude: -2.0417 / 2°2'30"W
OS Eastings: 397229
OS Northings: 225350
OS Grid: SO972253
Mapcode National: GBR 2M0.0NP
Mapcode Global: VHB1J.KTHW
Entry Name: Ellenborough Park Hotel
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Last Amended: 4 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1155737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135256
Location: Southam, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL52
Civil Parish: Southam
Built-Up Area: Southam
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Cleeve St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/11/2014
SO 92 NE
A46 (west side)
Ellenborough Park Hotel
(Formerly listed as The De la Bere Hotel, previously listed as Southam de la Bere House- Oriel School)
Former country house begun by Thomas Goodman (q.v. initials in
spandrels of door to porch) c1500, completed by Sir John
Huddleston, Junior, died 1547, possibly extended to south late C17,
extended in Gothic and neo-Norman style 1833-1871 by Lord
Ellenborough former Governor General of India (q.v. monument in
Oxenton Church). Early ranges random squared and dressed
limestone; C19 extensions and some refacing ashlar; stone slate
roof; ashlar stacks. Complex plan with a hall forming the western
side of the house, solar cross wing at right angles to the south;
late C17 ranges to the south of the solar; C16 rectangular
courtyard to north-west of the hall range; C19 extensions to the
north and east. l½-2 storeys. West front: Great Hall at the
centre with two tall 4-light stone-mullioned casements with king
mullions, diamond leaded panes, heraldic glass and a continuous
hood; projecting gabled 2-storey porch to the left with C19 two-
light stone-mullioned casement to the ground floor blocking the
former doorway; 3-light stone-mullioned casement above. C19
single-storey porch with pointed-arched entrance to the left; 4-
light stone-mullioned casement with king mullion above. All
casements to the west side of the hall with hollow-chamfered
mullions and Tudor-arched heads. Three C19 two-light roof dormers
with finials to the hall. Gable to solar (now known as the The
Great Parlour) projects forwards to the right with 2-storey late
Perpendicular bay window with Tudor glass medallions and
battlemented parapet; C19 two-storey turret to the right; south
wing, partly encased C19, projects forwards to the right with 4-
light oriel window to the north facing gable; 3-light stone-
mullioned casement and a 6-light oriel to the west-facing gable.
Cl9 battlemented wall to the north of the Great Hall which links to
a C19 four-stage Gothic style tower with battlemented parapet and
Tudor-arched entrance; encased gable projects forwards to the left
with C19 range at right angles to north linking up to a 3-stage
Gothic tower with battlemented parapet. South-facing elevation
retains some original openings including two stone-mullioned oriel
windows one with a battlemented parapet. East-facing elevation
retains some early and some C19 stone-mullioned casements; 4-stage
neo-Norman keep-like tower projects forwards off-centre left with
2, 4 and 7-light windows with neo-Norman windows circular jamb
shafts, single large blind round-headed arch on the east side
reaching to the height of the fourth stage with the monogram 'E.E.'
(Edward Ellenborough) at the top; parapet with Lombard frieze.
North-facing elevation with small neo-Norman 1½ storey room
projecting forwards at centre; gable projects forwards to the left
with garage doors to the ground floor and a Decorated window with
replaced mullion above; neo-Norman single-light window with gablet
to the return; 3-stage Gothic tower with battlemented parapet at
the north-west corner.
Interior: hall formerly entered via moulded 4-centred arched
doorway on the east side with the initials 'T.G.' (Thomas Goodman)
in the spandrels; linenfold panelling and tiles from Hailes Abbey
to the floor of porch concealing door. Some early linenfold
panelling with foliate decoration incorporating a crest in the form
of a unicorn's head at the south end of the hall, much of the
remaining panelling may be C19 in date. Tudor-arched stone
fireplace to the east wall with columns, enriched spandrels and
brattished mantelpiece; partially blocked opening probably an
earlier fireplace to the right; several blocked openings above
formerly opening onto a first floor; gallery, probably C19 in
date, at the north end; Tudor-arched stone fireplace at same level
as gallery. Intersecting beams with roll mouldings to ceiling,
possibly an Elizabethan insertion; part of a braced collar-beam
roof remains above. The adjoining dining rooms, formerly the
parlour range: two rooms with C17 panelling with dragon friezes,
the smaller room contains a stone Tudor-arched fireplace flanked by
engaged octagonal columns with enriched spandrels with carved
wooden overmantel with cornice with guilloche and scrollwork
decoration and triple-panelled frieze with heraldic emblem and
inscription 'TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO' flanked by mannerist 'terms';
strapwork decoration to the flanking panels; carved sea beasts
below. Stone Tudor-arched fireplace flanked by mannerist 'terms'
in the adjoining room or Great Parlour with richly carved
overmantel showing the arms of de la Bere impaling Huddleston,
presumably dating from the marriage of Eleanor Huddleston to Kenard
de la Bere c1554, mannerist 'terms' and blind arches either side.
Bay window containing Tudor glass medallions including the arms or
badges of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York, the Tudor rose and the
pomegranate. The adjoining room is also lined with C17 panelling
with frieze decorated with angels. Small Tudor-arched stone
fireplace flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters; overmantel with
single large round-headed panel containing the de la Bere arms and
helmet in high relief with a crest of eleven ostrich feathers.
Early C18 open well staircase with turned balusters and ramped
handrail, newels in form of a group of 4 balusters; panelled dado.
The original courtyard shown on the Kip engraving is now filled in
with later building but the close-studded timber-framing of the
east range is visible on its west face, with the infill removed.
Described by David Verey as one of the largest C16 houses to
remain in the county.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of
Dean, 1980; engraving by Kip in Atkyn's Ancient and Present State
of Gloucestershire, 1712; and V.C.H. Gloucestershire, Vol VIII,
Listing NGR: SO9722725369
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings