History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block 30 Metres North-West of Blenkinsopp Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenhead, Northumberland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.9711 / 54°58'16"N

Longitude: -2.4994 / 2°29'57"W

OS Eastings: 368130

OS Northings: 564172

OS Grid: NY681641

Mapcode National: GBR BBZY.PS

Mapcode Global: WH911.L91W

Entry Name: Stable Block 30 Metres North-West of Blenkinsopp Hall

Listing Date: 27 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1155794

English Heritage Legacy ID: 240714

Location: Greenhead, Northumberland, NE49

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Greenhead

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Greenhead

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

NY 66 SE
(North side, off)
15/66 Stable block 30
metres north-west
of Blenkinsopp Hall

Stable block incorporating coach house, stables and living quarters. Rear
range and return wings 1833 (dated on pediment); front range rebuilt 1903
(dated on parapet). Dressed stone, graduated green slate roofs and stone
chimneys; glazed iron canopy on rear range. 4 ranges round a rectangular
stable yard. Tudor/Gothic style.

Single-storey, 5-bay front range. Taller central square-plan tower; flanking
walls break back; projecting canted end bays. Projecting embattled parapets.
Tower has moulded triangular-headed archway with clock face and flanking cross-
loops above. Featureless flanking walls. End bays have 3-light chamfered-
mullioned windows with latticed casements; moulded octagonal plaques on parapet
(plaque on left bay dated 1903).

2-storey, 6-bay rear range. Central paired doorways flanked by elliptical
coach arches with doorways in end bays. Six 2-light windows in chamfered
surrounds above (3 windows on left half retain sashes and mullion). Pediment
over two centre bays contains boarded-over clock face in surround dated 1833.
Low-pitched hipped roof with 4 ridge stacks. Canopy across entire ground floor
of rear range has low pent glass roof on arch-braced iron brackets.

Single-storey, 3-bay return wings; each wing with two 2-light windows and an
elliptical coach arch to yard; low-pitched roofs.

Listing NGR: NY6813064172

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.