This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.906 / 54°54'21"N
Longitude: -2.3458 / 2°20'44"W
OS Eastings: 377926
OS Northings: 556863
OS Grid: NY779568
Mapcode National: GBR DC1Q.Y4
Mapcode Global: WH919.YY4C
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240316
Location: Plenmeller with Whitfield, Northumberland, NE47
Civil Parish: Plenmeller with Whitfield
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whitfield and Ninebanks
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 75 NE PLENMELLER WITH WHITFIELD WHITFIELD
8/199 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish Church 1859-60 by A.B. Higham of Wakefield and Newcastle. Squared stone
with dressings, grey slate roof. Cruciform plan with central tower and spire,
3-bay north nave aisle and north organ chamber, south porch. Free Early English
style with good detail and much foliage carving. Stepped buttresses between
bays and paired at angles; sill string course. Four-bay nave with porch in
second bay. Side windows paired lancets with paired rear arches divided by
free-standing shafts; west end has two lancets, divided by a stepped buttress,
and a rose window over. Transept gables similar without the rose. Three-bay
chancel with single lancets in side walls, triple in the east end. Central
tower has triple-lancet belfry openings below a corbel table of trefoiled arches;
stone broach spire. Interior: heavily-moulded arcade and crossing arches with
dog-tooth decoration. Tierceron vault under tower; roof timbers carried on
ornate corbels. Contemporary fittings, including windows by Powell. Carved
reredos of 1891 flanked by trefoil-headed marble panels.
The church was built by Rev. and Mrs.J.A. Blackett Ord, in memory of her uncle
William Ord from whom she inherited the Whitfield Estate.
Listing NGR: NY7792656863
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings