This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.451 / 51°27'3"N
Longitude: -0.9593 / 0°57'33"W
OS Eastings: 472412
OS Northings: 172955
OS Grid: SU724729
Mapcode National: GBR QPH.L9
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.BS6K
Entry Name: Main Block and Flanking Wings at Royal Berkshire Hospital
Listing Date: 19 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156091
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39019
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Redlands
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Main block and
flanking wings at
Royal Berkshire Hospital
SU 7272 9/161 19.3.75.
Main block 1839 by local architect and builder Henry Briant (who won the competition
for designing the hospital). As King William IV took such a keen interest
in the hospital before it was built, his Arms, not Queen Victoria's appear
on the central pediment. 2 storeys and basement. Bath stone - very large
ashlar blocks used to front. Slate roofs. 11 bays with 7 bay central break
projecting pedimented hexastyle Ionic portico. Glazing bar sash windows.
Corner piers. Channelled basement. Astragal to moulded cornice (dentil cornice
to portico) and parapet. Recessed side entrance bays. Wide steps to portico
with excellent contemporary lamp tripods with guilloche ornament. Interior:
colonaded stair hall, cast iron balusters to stairs which divide at landing.
1882 chapel with contemporary fittings reached from under landing. (By Joseph
Morris who made considerable extensions to the Hospital at that date). The
main block has flanking wings added 1865 to designs by Joseph Morris. 3 storeys
also Bath stone and long side wings forming a large courtyard added 1881-2.
The latter are also of Bath stone, have 5x5 end pavilions with 3 bay pedimented
breaks and are linked to side wings by a Greek Doric colonade (east side) and
a 1911 block (west side). In front to street is a dwarf-stone tall with moulded
coping and 5 retraining ashlar gate piers with block modillions to moulded
Listing NGR: SU7241272955
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings