This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8102 / 51°48'36"N
Longitude: -2.1594 / 2°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 389108
OS Northings: 212410
OS Grid: SO891124
Mapcode National: GBR 1LW.DWV
Mapcode Global: VH94L.JR8N
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156148
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132701
Location: Cranham, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL4
Civil Parish: Cranham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cranham St James the Great
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 81 SE CRANHAM -
1/142 Church of St James
Parish church. C12, mostly altered C15 and C16. Major restoration
and enlargement 1894-5 by S. Gambier-Parry. Ashlar limestone;
stone slate roof. Nave with north and south aisles; north porch,
west tower and chancel with north vestry. Parapet gabled porch and
north aisle date from late C19 alterations, north doorway reusing a
Norman voussoir as keystone. These additions in Perpendicular
style, round porch archway having cinquefoil image niche over with
crocketed hood. Three-light aisle window; 2-light to west end
being former east window from an earlier C19 restoration. Longer
parapet gabled south aisle also much restored, extending to east
over side wall of chancel. Two 2-light windows, one early C16 with
Tudor lights. C13 lancet restored and reset in west gable end.
Chancel rebuilt late C19 with Perpendicular style 3-light east
window, panel below having carved Crucifixion scene. Three-stage
late C15 tower with diagonal offset west buttresses and 2-light
west window, hoodmould having carved stops. Two sets of sheep
shears carved above north west buttress may indicate tower was a
gift from a local wool merchant. Two-light trefoil-headed belfry
openings with stone louvres. String course below crenellated
parapet has carved gargoyle diagonally at each corner.
Interior: 3-bay late C15 south arcade with octagonal piers copied
in late C19 north aisle. Small raised rood loft doorway adjacent
to C19 round chancel arch. Original wagon roof to south aisle.
C15 or early C16 rood beam with vine trail carving and traceried
timber screen below has early C20 figures added. Three-bay C19
chancel roof with cusped trusses. East window has 2 trefoil-headed
jamb niches, each with carved figure. Old master style painted
triptych reredos. Delicately carved pulpit front matches altar
frontal - both late C19. Octagonal C19 stone font on tall fluted
base. Fine Baroque monument in south aisle with segmental pediment
surmounted by crest and torch bearing putti. Panel, inscribed to
Obadiah Done, Rector, died 1738, flanked by pilasters and 2 further
putti with fronds. Several C18 monuments in tower. Some good
stained glass: north west window by Wailes of Newcastle.
(A.R.J. Jurica, 'Cranham' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp 199-210;
and D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976, and Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: SO8910812410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings