This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1683 / 55°10'5"N
Longitude: -1.6924 / 1°41'32"W
OS Eastings: 419691
OS Northings: 586041
OS Grid: NZ196860
Mapcode National: GBR J8MP.D3
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.ZC88
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Robert
Listing Date: 22 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238762
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH OLDGATE (off)
NZ 1986 (North side )
Roman Catholic Church
22/356 of St Robert
Roman Catholic Church. 1850. Rock-faced stone with Lakeland slate roof.
Early English style. Porch-tower with spire, nave, chancel and vestry.
Porch-tower: 2-storey square lower stage with multi-moulded, pointed-arched
doorway, angle buttresses with niches containing saints, and lancets on 1st
floor. Broached corners lead to high bell stage with a tall lancet on each
side and triple-shafted columns at the angles; gablet above each side. Tall
octagonal needle spire.
6-bay nave has lancets under labels with head stops. Buttresses between each
bay. West end has arched door; above 7-light stepped lancets, alternately
open and blank, with shafts and shaft rings.
2-bay chancel with 3-light Decorated east window.
Single-storey vestry attached to chancel by short linking passage. Decorated
3-light window flanked by 2 saints and niches.
Interior has open timber roof with king posts and arched braces.
Listing NGR: NZ1969186041
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings