This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8731 / 54°52'23"N
Longitude: -2.3412 / 2°20'28"W
OS Eastings: 378204
OS Northings: 553201
OS Grid: NY782532
Mapcode National: GBR DD22.YX
Mapcode Global: WH91J.0SF2
Entry Name: Ninebanks Tower, Adjacent to the South End of Ninebanks Post Office
Listing Date: 23 August 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1156514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240359
Location: West Allen, Northumberland, NE47
Civil Parish: West Allen
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whitfield and Ninebanks
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NY 75 SE WEST ALLEN NINEBANKS (West side)
14/242 Ninebanks Tower, adjacent
to the south end of
Ninebanks Post Office
Tower, built onto east gable of earlier manor house in early C16, heightened
and stair turret added later C16. Rubble with stone dressings, later C16
work more massive rubble. Roughly square in plan. 4 storeys; rectangular
stair turret at west end of north face. Elevation to street (east): blocked
rectangular chamfered loop just above ground level with small inserted window
over, 1st floor window formerly of 2 lights, monolithic head with 2-centred
arches, 2nd-floor rectangular chamfered window with a pair of raised inverted
shields on the lintel. Weathering of a pitched roof or gablet above. Hollow-
chamfered course carries oversailing 3rd floor with a pair of rectangular
windows one above the other, and a corbelled cornice which formerly supported
a parapet. Stair turret has 3 chamfered loops. Right return has blocked
Tudor-arched door partly concealed by the stair turret, and a rectangular
chamfered lst-floor loop. Left return has chamfered loops to the 1st and
3rd floors and a small slit to the 2nd. 2 stone spouts project from the moulded
parapet. To the left a buttress-like projection is part of the earlier house.
Rear elevation shows inserted door and much patching; several doorways with
chamfered surrounds, some blocked, in stair turret. To left of turret one jamb
of a ground-floor window of the former north range.
Interior; at 1st and 2nd floor levels doorways with monolithic Tudor-arched
heads, now blocked; to right of the 2nd-floor door is a blocked chamfered
window, looking into the tower, i.e. part of the gable of the earlier manor
house. At 3rd floor level the remains of a fireplace. Lower section of stair
turret now infilled; upper part retains its stone newel stair, with near the
top a circular gunloop on the north.
The heraldry on the tower, now defaced, is thought to relate to Sir Thomas
Dacre, ruler of Hexhamshire 1515-1526.
Dickinson G., 'Historical Notices of the 2 Parishes of Allendale and Whitfield'
(1903) p 28 et seq.
Listing NGR: NY7820453201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings