This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4134 / 55°24'48"N
Longitude: -1.7076 / 1°42'27"W
OS Eastings: 418607
OS Northings: 613315
OS Grid: NU186133
Mapcode National: GBR J5JV.38
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.R61B
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1952
Last Amended: 25 August 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157140
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235768
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Built-Up Area: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
(formerly listed under
NU 1813 SE 1/50 20.2.52.
1731; clock tower by Mr Bell 1767 and corner spires of tower by Mr George Hastings
Two storeys and 5 bays. Ashlar with rusticated quoins. Band course to high parapet.
Steps to boxed porch on 1st floor to right. Hipped slate roof with clock tower
behind ridge. Larger glazing bar sash windows on 1st floor with moulded architraves.
Small glazing bar sash windows on ground floor. C20 shop front with recessed doorway
to left. Boldly rusticated central archway to throughpassage. Memorial tablet
over central 1st floor window reads: "This Town House of the Burgesses of Alnwick
rebuilt in the year of Our Lord 1731 by Edward Grey, Richard Grieve, William Forster,
Robert Claxton: Chamberlains." To the left is a lead rainwater pipe head with
fluted cap, the box has a St Michael and Dragon on 3 faces and also the names Stother,
Forster, Gibson, Hardy and the date 1790 (possibly for roof repairs),
The Fenkle Street front breaks forward slightly to the tower bay of 3 stages; a
band course above each stage and an open pediment and parapet above to each side;
it is capped by a small pointed cupola with a weathervane and corner pinnacles.
A clock on each face with louvred openings below (original clock removed to Pottergate
Tower qv 1772).
A round headed window at the top of the 3rd stage and a smaller one at the base
of the 2nd stage with raised surrounds, Boldly rusticated throughpassage archway
at the base. Two glazing bar sash windows on each side of the tower with moulded
architraves; doorway to right with raised surround; similar doorway to left now
Listing NGR: NU1861113308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings