History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hampton Court

A Grade I Listed Building in Hope under Dinmore, County of Herefordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.168 / 52°10'4"N

Longitude: -2.7025 / 2°42'8"W

OS Eastings: 352049

OS Northings: 252426

OS Grid: SO520524

Mapcode National: GBR FL.5J8N

Mapcode Global: VH853.3RNW

Entry Name: Hampton Court

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157291

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149625

Location: Hope under Dinmore, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Hope under Dinmore

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Hope-under-Dinmore

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

HOPE UNDER DINMORE CP A 417 (south side)
SO 55 SW
5/62 Hampton Court
House. Circa 1427-36 for Sir Roland Lenthall (who had a licence to
crenellate in 1434). Altered early C18 by Colen Campbell for Lord Coningsby
and remodelled and restored in the early C19 by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville for
Richard Arkwright. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, lead and plain
tiled roofs behind embattled parapets with groups of C19 circular stacks.
Quadrangular plan representing the original C15 layout the main surviving
parts of which include the gatehouse, the chapel and the porch. The early
C18 alterations included the remodelling of the south front and additions
to the south-east and south-west. The C19 remodelling included the partial
refenestration of the structure, the heightening of the main ground floor
rooms to the south and east and numerous additions. Two and three storeys
with cellar and chamfered plinth. North entrance front: main part of 1:3:1:3:1
bays composed of large central rectangular gatehouse with flanking three-bay
ranges terminating in small square towers. Gatehouse: three levels rising
above rest of building with machicolated parapet on moulded corbelling. Two
centred arched gateway beneath a square head with quatrefoil tracery in the
spandrels, moulded jambs and a hoodmould with head stops. The reveals are
grooved for a portcullis and the double doors are original and have nail-
studded battens on square framing with a wicket in each fold. The archway
is flanked by cruciform loopholes. Above is a C19 archway with a four-centred
head, incorporating both upper levels and having a 4-light mullioned window to
each level sub-divided by a stone panel with a shield relief frieze. The lower
window interrupts a string course. In the left side of the gatehouse is
ground floor cruciform loophole and a cusped lancet beneath a square head with
a hoodmould on the upper levels. To the right side is a similar window at the
intermediate level and a bartizan tower in the angle containing a staircase and
having three loopholes. The south side of the gatehouse has an original tall
niche with canopied head and vaulted soffit and within, above the ground floor,
is a two-bay quadripartite stone rib vault with foliated bosses. The flanking
three-bay ranges: the bays adjacent to the gatehouse are carried up higher than
the rest of the ranges to form small square towers. The left range is of two
storeys divided by a string course. There are buttresses with offsets
articulating the bays and flanking two ground floor windows. There are three
first floor windows and a further window on the second floor of the tower.
The tower terminating this range to the left is of two levels with a string
course and has a window on both levels. All windows are cusped lancets with
square heads and hoodmoulds with head stops. The right range, is of three
storeys with a continuous hoodmould to the ground floor windows. There are
two 2-light windows with square head on each floor. The heightened bay adjacent
to the gatehouse has a cusped lancet (similarly detailed to those in the left
range) on each floor. The square tower terminating the range to the right is
of two levels divided by a string course and has a similar lancet on the second
level. The chapel adjoins the east end of the north front. It has a gabled
roof with an east end plain parapet and finial and side parapets pierced with
a trefoil frieze (probably a C19 alteration). It has a continous four-bay
nave and chancel. At the east end are diagonal buttresses with offsets ter-
minating in tall pinnacles. There is a 5-light east window and three 3-light
north windows , all with pointed heads and hoodmoulds. There is also a blocked
window to the south-east. The east, south and west front retain no medieval
features being largley refaced and C19 windows inserted. On the south side
of the courtyard is the C15 porch. Square plan. Two storeys with machicolated
parapet and diagonal corner buttresses with offsets. There is a four-centred
archway with a hoodmould and a C19 doorway, similarly arched, with traceried
infill between the two archways. There is an original 4-light window above
with a sill string. The quadripartite vaulted cloisters built around the
courtyard are C19 additions. Adjoining the west elevation of the house is a
service range also of quadrangular plan and of one and two storeys, similarly
detailed to the main building. This service range has a long north-west wing
incorporating the former stables and servants' quarters. This is largely C19
and since altered. However, the stables are probably of C16 origin; they are
of rubble with ashlar dressings with a machine tiled roof and gable-end parapets
with round finials. Five bays aligned north/south with projecting central
wing on east side. Single storey and attic. Main east elevation: the central
gable end has a blocked opening on each floor level and a right side door. The
flanking bays are articulated by narrow buttresses and have large lunette windows,
two with doorways beneath. Interior: main house has an early C18 open well stair-
case west of the gatehouse with a scrolled wrought iron balustrade and moulded
handrail. East of the gatehouse is an early C18 marble fireplace with fluted
columns and a coat of arms. The chapel retains part of its C15 ribbed ceiling
which is elaborately moulded and painted with ornately carved bosses and there
is some original stained glass in the north windows. According to a letter of
Vanbrugh's, Talman may have made some plans for the remodelling of Hampton
Court and the illustration in Campbell's Vitruvius Britannicus, Vol II, 1717,
might represent Talman's scheme for a medievalised symmetrical facade. Early
C18 illustrations by Kip and Knyff and later C18 and early C19 illustrations,
for example that by Neale of 1826, suggest the building may have a further
complicated architectural history. (RCHM Herefs III, p 68-70; BoE, p 141-2).

Listing NGR: SO5204552392

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.