This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.4488 / 54°26'55"N
Longitude: -1.6497 / 1°38'59"W
OS Eastings: 422809
OS Northings: 505987
OS Grid: NZ228059
Mapcode National: GBR JKX0.M0
Mapcode Global: WHC67.MFMV
Entry Name: East Hall
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157407
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322150
Location: Middleton Tyas, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL10
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Middleton Tyas
Built-Up Area: Middleton Tyas
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Middleton Tyas with Moulton
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
MIDDLETON TYAS SCHOOL BANK
NZ 2205-2305 (north side)
9/84 East Hall
House. Dated 1713. For Leonard Hartley. Rubble with ashlar dressings,
stone slate roof. 2 storeys and attics, 7 bays, with rear outshut and rear
wing to left. Quoins. Sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds.
Central canted bay with flat roof, replacing doorway. Dormer windows to
second and fourth bays. Shaped kneelers with volutes, ashlar copings.
Rendered brick corniced stacks at ends, and double one between fourth and
fifth bays. To right, C20 single-storey addition. Rear: chamfered cross
windows, some to staircase. Later brick service range to left not of
special interest. Left return: C20 single-storey porch with entry to house
from right (front). l-bay wing to left with M roof. Rainwater head cast
with legend "LH 1713". Right return: 2 bays, with first-floor and attic
windows in ashlar architraves. Interior: ground-floor rooms have shutters
with fielded panels; sitting room to left has deep cross-beam with moulded
cornices; former entrance hall in centre has fanlight with delicate
decorative glazing bars; dining room to right has deep cornice; in rear
wing, open-well staircase between ground and first floors, with curving
handrail, barleysugar balusters and in ceiling above, elliptical
hemispherical plaster dome with 2 large shell motifs and small cherubs'
heads; on first floor at top of stairs, paired doorways with deep
architraves divided by a fluted Tuscan pilaster and doors of 6 fielded
panels unconventionally arranged; bedroom to rear left has corner fireplace
with bolection overmantel panel with cornice above; front left bedroom has
deeply-moulded architraves with tiny keystones to door from landing and
connecting door to rear left bedroom, simple fireplace and ceiling divided
by deep corniced beams into 4 sections, each with a circular panel with a
central rose of acanthus leaves; second left bedroom has simple fireplace
and corniced cross-beam with an elliptical panel in each section; small
dressing room with fielded-panel cupboard doors; front right bedroom has
doors and casings of 8 fielded panels, simple fireplace with overmantel
panel, and fielded panelling divided by chair rail; rear right bedroom has
corner fireplace with overmantel panel above; staircase betweeen first and
second floors with splat baluster; some attic rooms heated. Marmaduke
Hartley (d1708) bought property in Middleton Tyas in 1697; his eldest son
Leonard (1689-1774), who rebuilt this house, prospered through his
involvement in enclosures and copper-mining in the locality. 2 "flower
tubs" outside the house are sumpter pots used to collect molten copper from
the furnace. T R Hornhaw, Copper Mining in Middleton Tyas (1975, North
Yorkshire County Record Office Publications No 6).
Listing NGR: NZ2280905987
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings