This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8947 / 53°53'40"N
Longitude: -2.0395 / 2°2'22"W
OS Eastings: 397500
OS Northings: 444277
OS Grid: SD975442
Mapcode National: GBR GR6D.7M
Mapcode Global: WHB7M.NC0M
Entry Name: Carr Head Hall
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Last Amended: 23 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323561
Location: Cowling, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Cowling
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cowling Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 94 SE COWLING CARR HEAD ROAD
10.9.54 Carr Head Hall
(formerly listed as
Mansion, probably mid C18 enlarged later C18, then refurbished 1851 and slightly
altered early C20. Hammer dressed stone and hipped slate roof, with some ashlar
work. Two storeys. The oldest part appears to be the south front, now the garden
front, of 5 bays. This has a plinth and plat band, cornice and rusticated quoins.
The tall windows have architraves and are sashed with all glazing bars. The central
doorway has a Doric doorcase with pilasters, pediment, and rosettes between
triglyphs. The east front is of 5 bays and is similarly detailed except that the
windows have plain stone surrounds, and the central 3 bays are canted out. The north
front, probably early C20, has blocked surrounds to the windows and a Doric porch,
distyle in antis.
Inside 3 periods may be distinguished. To the later C18 probably belong the former
hall, with doors in the style of Adam, and the central staircase, which has a small
domed skylight decorated with husks. The cantilevered stone stair has an ornamental
iron balustrade. The remaining rooms of the ground floor have simple classical
decoration probably dating from 1851. On the first floor all 3 rooms of the south
front retain lavish decoration from the first build. The central lobby has a small
but rich plaster ceiling in the style of the 1730s above an Ionic modillion cornice.
This has an eagle in central roundel and a cove decorated with Roman busts, cherubs,
trumpets and palm leaves. The south-east bedroom has a cornice supported by 2
Corinthian pilasters either side of the chimneypiece, which has a scrolled and eared
overmantel with an overhanging garland. The south-west bedroom has a similar
arrangement, but the detail is Doric, with bucrania in the frieze. The overmantel is
shouldered, flanked by husks and surmounted by a shell which harbours another ox
The house thus preserves in part a small mansion of mid C18 of considerable interest.
Listing NGR: SD9750044277
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings