This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1181 / 54°7'5"N
Longitude: -2.545 / 2°32'41"W
OS Eastings: 364473
OS Northings: 469272
OS Grid: SD644692
Mapcode National: GBR BNNT.TJ
Mapcode Global: WH952.WR8C
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324073
Location: Bentham, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA2
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bentham
Built-Up Area: High Bentham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bentham
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BENTHAM LOW BENTHAM
SD 66 NW
Church of St John the
Parish church. C15 west tower, rest heavily restored by R Norman Shaw, 1876-78.
Squared rubble; stone dressings, slate roof. West tower, north entrance porch.
2 bay nave, north and south aisles, one bay chancel, north vestry, south side
chapel. Perpendicular. 3 stage, west tower. Restored 2-centre head to west
door, dripstone; 1870s 2-leaf plank doors with decorative wrought iron strap
hinges. Second stage: 1870s 3-light Perpendicular with 2-centre heads and curved
dripstone. Bell stage: 2-light trefoil headed window with mouchettes in spandrels;
dripmould. Diagonal buttresses; partly embattled parapet with 4 crocketed finials
all c1980 (2 C15 finials in churchyard, west of tower). North entrance porch
1870s: 2-centre arch entrance with moulded surround; 2-leaf plank door and
decorative wrought iron strap hinges. Half-hipped roof. Nave: Perpendicular
windows with 3 cinquefoil headed lights: hood moulds. 2 similar windows in
clerestorys, and one to vestry. Chancel, 1870s. Stepped east window is 2-centre,
5 lights each have cinquefoil heads. Tudor flower decoration below gable end
parapet. Finials to buttresses and cross at gable end ridge. South wall of
chancel has wreathed C15 2-light chamfered mullioned window with trefoil head
and 1870s hoodmould. 2 similar windows in south wall of south side chapel but
with restored cavetto mullions. Above is late C18/early C19 stone sundial with
floral decoration inscribed LAT 54° 7'; iron gnomon. Interior Nave: font by
Lethaby. c1890. Pulpit by Shaw has stone base and wood surround with linenfold
panelling; exposed king post roof, stone corbels. 2 bay arcade to north and
south aisles. C15 two-centre chancel arch. Chancel: stalls with poppyhead carving
by Shaw. In North wall is 1870s 6-light cinquefoil headed mullioned window with
king mullion at clerestory level, now partly obscured by teak organ case by Shaw
and Lethaby, 1886. Reredos in Caen stone by Shaw, carved by Thomas Earp. Maw's
majolica tiles to walls. Several stained glass window by Heaton, Butler and
Bayne. Stone cruciform carving in south aisle window, probably C13.
Source: A Saint, Richard Norman Shaw (1976); Royal Academy London, plans and
elevations by Shaw.
Listing NGR: SD6447369272
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings