History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friars Head

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flasby with Winterburn, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.0138 / 54°0'49"N

Longitude: -2.1051 / 2°6'18"W

OS Eastings: 393207

OS Northings: 457533

OS Grid: SD932575

Mapcode National: GBR FQR0.1X

Mapcode Global: WHB70.MCRT

Entry Name: Friars Head

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157656

English Heritage Legacy ID: 323950

Location: Flasby with Winterburn, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

Civil Parish: Flasby with Winterburn

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Gargrave St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(west side)

3/12 Friars Head


- II*

Large house c1670, possibly by Proctor family, with C19 and C20 alterations.
Dressed stone, stone slate roof. Hall with 2 cross wings at rear. Gable end to
street. Garden entrance front: 2 storeys, 4 projecting bays. Entrance porch in
second bay has moulded surround and imposts, basket arch of 11 voussoirs; within
porch is oak plank door with Tudor arch. Dripmould and sundial above with gnomon
and moulded surround. 3 ground floor and 4 upper floor bay windows, all double
chamfered mullioned of 6-lights with transoms, and transomed single lights to return
of each bay; 6 pane casements and fixed lights. Dripmoulds to both floors. Gable
to each bay has ogee headed tripartite blind window with mullions and shaped hood-
mould. Ball finials to apex of gables and kneelers, those on left and right-hand
of c1985. Left and right-hand gable end ridge stacks. Interior: front left-hand
room (former kitchen) contains massive inglenook fireplace with chamfered surround
and basket arch of 16 voussoirs. In front right-hand room (former parlour) is small
fireplace with chamfered surround and flat arched lintel. C19 dog-leg staircase
in angle between main block and right-hand rear wing. 3 late C17 door surrounds
on upper floor landing have nicked ogees to lintels.
Source: L Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (London, 1913) p70.

Listing NGR: SD9320757533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.