This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0186 / 54°1'6"N
Longitude: -2.25 / 2°15'0"W
OS Eastings: 383715
OS Northings: 458091
OS Grid: SD837580
Mapcode National: GBR DPQZ.P6
Mapcode Global: WHB6Y.D8S4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 20 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1157818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 323859
Location: Long Preston, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Long Preston
Built-Up Area: Long Preston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Long Preston St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
LONG PRESTON CHURCH STREET
13/3 Church of St Mary the
Parish church. Late C14/early C15 with C19 and C20 alterations. Slobbered, squared
rubble, millstone grit dressings, stone slate roof. South porch, west tower, 4
bay nave, north and south aisles, 3 bay chancel restored 1867-68 by Healey of
Bradford, north and south side chapels. Gabled south porch has moulded entrance
surround, segmental pointed arch, hood mould; trefoil cross to gable. Shield stops
to hood of entrance, plank door and strap hinges. 3 stage tower: diagonal
buttresses, 2 single light chamfered windows to first two stages. Bell stage has
segmental pointed 2-light windows with cinquefoil heads and quatrefoil above
geometrical tracery. Clock face to west. Crocketed finials. Aisle and chapel
windows are 2-light segmental pointed with cavetto mullions and geometrical tracery:
cinquefoil heads with quatrefoils above; hoodmoulds, 2 windows no aisles and 3 to
chapel. c1870 north and south entrances to chapels. East end of south chapel has
3-light window with ogee arch; 2-light trefoil headed east window to north chapel.
Chancel east window is 3-light with rectilinear tracery and trefoil heads. c1870
cruciform finial to east and west ends of chancel. Interior: 4 bay north and south
arcades with octagonal piers and segmental pointed arches. Pulpit c. late C17.
Romanesque sandstone font with zig-zag moulding; 1726 oak canopy. King post roof
trusses with A-braces to nave. Cusped windbraces to roof of north and south aisles;
stone shield corbels. Minton tiles to chancel. Some stained glass windows by
Capronnier of Brussels.
Source: W A Shuffrey, The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven, (Leeds, 1914),
Listing NGR: SD8371758092
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings