History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge End

A Grade II Listed Building in Sebergham, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.7679 / 54°46'4"N

Longitude: -2.9995 / 2°59'58"W

OS Eastings: 335794

OS Northings: 541897

OS Grid: NY357418

Mapcode National: GBR 7FH9.FM

Mapcode Global: WH80M.WFV6

Entry Name: Bridge End

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1157881

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72479

Location: Sebergham, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA5

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Sebergham

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Castle Sowerby St Kentigern

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sebergham

Listing Text

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Sebergham

9/171 Bridge End

11.4.67

G.V. II

House. Dated and inscribed over entrance J & M.S. 1737 (John Stalker and his
wife) incorporating earlier building dated and inscribed over rear entrance J &
B.S. 1670 (John Stalker, senior, and his wife). Squared and coursed sandstone
rubble with flush quoins. Sandstone slate roof with coped gable and kneeler to
right; C20 brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays of 1737, with 2 bays left
under common roof partly of 1670, but mostly rebuilt in mid C20; single-storey
right-angled extension to front is probably late C17, making overall L-shape.
Right portion has 2-light flat stone-mullioned windows, that in centre was made
into a doorway and now returned to window matching the others. Fire windows on
both floors to left have been blocked with coursed stone making it impossible
to see that they ever existed (information from present owner who carried out
the work). Right portion has cross passage with dated and inscribed rear
doorway, now an internal feature; front doorway surround with dated and
inscribed lintel has been moved forward into a C19 wall filling the angle of the
L. One upper-floor 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned window, all others are C20
but in keeping with the rest of the building. Change in colour of the sandstone
denotes that part which has been rebuilt. Extension has 2- and 3-light
chamfered stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds with small chamfered-surround
fire window to rear. Interior of 1737 has inglenook with heck partition,
firebeam and beamed ceiling. 1670 portion had been used as a barn and was in a
derelict condition before restoration. Had arched stone fireplace and spiral
stone staircase before restoration.


Listing NGR: NY3579441897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.