This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.578 / 50°34'40"N
Longitude: -4.7121 / 4°42'43"W
OS Eastings: 208074
OS Northings: 78868
OS Grid: SX080788
Mapcode National: GBR N3.DTPL
Mapcode Global: FRA 170J.XQ6
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 17 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158085
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68555
Location: Michaelstow, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Michaelstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Tudy with Michaelstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NE
6/113 Church of St Michael
Parish church. Possibly C13 origins enlarged in C15. Restored in 1826, in 1870-1889
by Messrs Hine and Odgers and in 1982. Stone rubble with granite quoins and moulded
granite plinth and strings to west tower. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one.
Plan: Nave and chancel possibly with C13 origins with 4 bay north aisle and 5-bay
south aisle added in C15. Circa C15 south porch and west tower.
Exterior : Unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with rectangular stair turret on
north. Battlemented parapets with crocketted finials surmounted by crosses. Moulded
stilted arch to west door. C19 3 light west window and 2-light belfry openings with
slate louvres. C19 tracery in south aisle, simple 3-light Perpendicular tracery in
chancel window and circa C15 3-light Perpendicular window with cusped heads at east
end of north aisle. Piscina on exterior of north wall of chancel. 3 C15
Perpendicular windows in north aisle and blocked 4-centred moulded arch to north
door. South porch has 2-centred hollow chamfered arch with sundial of 1684, C15
waggon roof and moulded basket arch of Catacleuse stone with hollow chamfer and
carved with floral motifs.
Interior : Plaster walls. Unceiled C15 waggon roofs in nave and north and south
aisles with carved ribs and wall plate partly restored. Particularly high quality
carving in north aisle with evidence of pendants at east end. C19 roof to chancel.
5-bay arcade to south aisle and 4-bay arcade to north aisle with granite type A
(Pevsner) piers, moulded bases, moulded 4-centred arches and carved capitals of
Caenstone and Polyphant stone. Piscina and credence in chancel, circa C15 font and
Royal Arms dated 1727, painted on timber board. Circa C15 bench ends rescued from
Church of St Tudius, St Tudy. Other benches 1882. 2 commandment boards dated 1803
and signed Henry Hocken and Wm Symons, Churchwardens. Bell dated 1550. C16 and C17
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg
Minor in the County of Cornwall 1879
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970
Listing NGR: SX0807378868
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings