This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4449 / 50°26'41"N
Longitude: -4.7627 / 4°45'45"W
OS Eastings: 203940
OS Northings: 64208
OS Grid: SX039642
Mapcode National: GBR N1.P6FZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 07XW.8B8
Entry Name: Church of St Nivet
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1158241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67597
Location: Lanivet, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Lanivet
Built-Up Area: Lanivet
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lanivet
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 06 SW
8/124 Church of St Nivet
Parish church. Circa early C15, with later C15 additions. Late C19 restoration,
undated board for the Incorporated Society for Building and Churches in porch.
Granite rubble ; the east end, the south aisle, south porch and tower in granite
ashlar. Granite dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles ; scalloped slates
to eaves at gable ends.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one. Circa mid C15, the north aisle was added. Late in
the C15, the south aisle and south porch were added, and the east end of the chancel
and both aisles were rebuilt. Late C15 west tower.
Exterior: Nave is concealed by the aisles. The east end of the chancel has a 3-light
C19 Perpendicular window with 4 centred arch and hood mould.
North aisle of 6 bays, all windows are 3-light, with cusped lights and Perpendicular
tracery, with 4-centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch. The east end has a
similar 4-light window with Y-tracery. The west end has similar 4-light window ; the
gable end is truncated by the tower.
The south aisle is of 6 bays, in granite ashlar, without a plinth ; the porch in the
second bay from the west. All windows are 3-light, with cusped lights and more
elaborate Perpendicular tracery with cusping ; 4-centred arch, hood mould and
relieving arch. The east bay has a 2 centred arched hollow-chamfered priest's door.
Rood stair projection with chamfered plinth and lancet. The west end has similar 4-
light window with cusped lights and through tracery. The west end has similar C19 4-
light window in limestone.
South porch is gabled, without a plinth. Plain round-arched outer doorway with
voussoirs ; fine C19 cast iron gate with knob finials. The interior of the porch has
granite paved floor and granite benches to sides. C19 wagon roof. Inner doorway
has 4-centred arch with roll-mouldings ; C19 door with strap hinges. Recess for holy
water stoup to right.
West tower in 3 stages on chamfered plinth, with set-back weathered buttresses and
moulded string courses ; embattled parapet. The west doorway has moulded 4-centred
arch with carved spandrels and square hood mould ; C19 door with strap hinges. 4-
light west window with cusped lights and Y-tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould.
At second stage to south a 2-light window with cusped lights and square hood mould.
Third stage has 3-light bell-openings with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery,
4-centred arch and hood mould.
Interior: Plastered walls and C19 tiled floor. All roofs are C19 and have arched-
braced trusses, with windbraces and stencilled painting in the chancel. North and
south 6-bay arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers, 4-centred arches, hollow-chamfered in
the north arcade and plain chamfered in the south arcade. Tall tower arch with
clustered piers to sides, moulded 4-centred arch with C20 wooden screen across. The
chancel has a C12 stone capital hollowed out for use as a piscina and moulded granite
image stand. The south aisle has 4-centred arch doorway to the rood stair, stone
newel stair and upper 3-centred arched doorway ; both arcades are cut through for the
rood screen. Aumbry in south aisle.
Fittings: C19 pews and stone pulpit, chancel has C19 reredos and wooden screens to
south and north. C14 octagonal stone font in south aisle with elaborate tracery
panels. An inscribed pillar stone in the south aisle, inscribed in Roman capitals :
ANNIC FIL ; C5 OR C6. Fine mid C18 table in nave, the frieze carved with rosettes
and masks, carved turned legs. In the nave and aisles, four fine C19 Gothic painted
wrought iron candelabras in the form of corona lucis. In north aisle, two sections
of the late C15 wooden rood screen, with cusped panels and quatrefoil frieze.
Monuments in north aisle : slate plate to John and Richard Courtenay, with life-size
bearded figure carved in high relief, 1632 ; marble monument on slate ground, to
Roger Henwood, 1815, by Kitt of St Austell; marble monument on slate ground with
draped urn, to Mary Cole Ffrench, 1873 ; marble monument on slate ground, to Mary
Magor, 1852, by Edgcombe of Truro; slate monument with incised nowy head, with shield
and cherubs, to John Wymond, 1725; C17 slate ledger stone with inscription round the
border, unidentified. In south aisle: a marble pedestal tomb with urn, to William
Flamank, rector. 1861: four marble monuments on slate ground, to Bridget Hoblyn,
1827, by J. Collins of Devonport; to Nicholas Phillips, 1827; to Thomas Jenkyn, 1781;
to John Hawkey, 1864.
Glass: Late C19 stained glass. Two windows in the north aisle have fragments of C15
stained glass in the tracery.
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SX0394664202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings